1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who else moves snow with a garden tractor?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Yooper75, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Just wondering who else moves snow with a garden tractor and if you do post up some pics. Here is my 78 John Deere 312 with a snow blower and a 4 way hydraulic blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mitchp

mitchp Member

Im on my third JD and Im glad Ive got it. I started with a 112, got a blade, then a blower. Stepped up to a 316 that came with a plow. Found a mint blower for it a year later. Now I use a 425. Same deal. Plow and single stage blower. There are times that I wish I had a two stage blower but at the time it was all I could find used and all the others were single stage and they always did the job. It took care of the 12-15 that we got last night.

3. normplow

normplow Junior Member
    from pa

I use a little 10 year old Craftsman tractor with a 42" plow. I have wheel weights and tire chains. It works very good for snows under 8 inches.

4. Ibuildmyown

Ibuildmyown Junior Member

Thats funny saw a guy today on a very similar tractor to yours with a blower. His driveway is a slight hill he was trying to go up the drive without chains and no weight. Next thing I know I look over again and he has his wife standing on the rear hitch for balest. Didnt think of taking a picture but she did not look ammused at all.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I've got a craftsman with a 4 foot blade on it. The blade is off it right now and it hasn't been used yet this year. I think i might try and put the blade on it tomorrow. We'll see.

6. mitchp

mitchp Member

Heres a picture of my 425 with the plow attached. Its an '03 and its got 87 hours on it.

P1000231(2).JPG

7. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Very nice Deere.:drinkup:

8. jasf

jasf Member

I use a Craftsman w/a 42"blade. Junk as a mower,but works OK as a dedicated snow machine.

9. mitchp

mitchp Member

Thanks ! At first my wife thought I was crazy buying it but I use it all year long. I mow my yard (cant say lawn because its mostly crab grass and weeds), pick up the leaves in the fall right up to Thanksgiving week (this year I had well over a 1000 lbs of mulched up leaves in two trailer loads) and then I clean my driveway with it every time is snows. The old 112 worked well but I wanted something newer than a '68 and I wanted hydrostatic drive. I got the tractor for a couple of hundred $$ when I bought it. I think I got it in 83 and sold it in '98 for $1200. Then I bought the 316. I painted the seat pan and rebuilt and painted the mower deck. It was a nice tractor but I think the early 300 series were a poor design. The forward/reverse was done with your right hand and the levers to control the lift were on the left side. Seems like you needed a third hand to steer the thing. Plus the only way to stop or slow down was to move the dash mounted lever back. The brakes were really useless. I think they changed that on the later 300 series. I sold it almost 7 years later for almost exactly what I paid for it. It seems like JD really hold their value. I wish I had the money to buy the newer X series with 4WD but thats not going to ever happen. I'll have the 425 until I move into a condo !!

10. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I really love my old Deere and I use mine all year long as well I picked it up for $850 with a mower deck and the blade. I have a 65 110 round fender wating to be restored when I have more time.

11. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Heres what I got .
    [​IMG]

12. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Nice Deere! I retired my 455 Diesel with 2300 hrs on it a couple years ago and replaced it with the BX24.

I scrape the sidewalks with the BX, It works out great Thumbs Up

13. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

you guys with 4 way's was that stock, all I've seen stock is a 2 way hydraulic? Do you have pic's or disgrams or any information on this build or anything of that nature?

Thanks,

John

14. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

My tractor came stock with the two function hydraulics but if you have an older Deere like mine it's pretty easy to add the H2 and H3 valve. I am comtemplating adding the H3 valve to mine so I can have rear hydraulics to run a 3 point hitch if I can ever find one that I can afford.

This site is a great resouce for information.
    http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  15. mitchp

mitchp Member

I think you would have to have a 300 series to have that option. 312,314,316,317, or 318 tractors are all in the series. I know the 140 was like that also. I dont know if any other tractors could be modified. My old 112 came with a hydraulic lift and a manual angle plow. The lift controls were part of the pump. I was told that not many people ordered a lift like that because it was so expensive. The local dealer told me that just the lift was almost 20% of the price of the tractor back then. The front mount on the 425 stays on the tractor during the winter. The blade unhooks and the blowers go on in place of it. The angle lines get disconnected and the blower has two lines that go in their place that control chute direction. It takes about 5 minutes to make the change from plow to blower. It was a pain in the butt with the 316 that I had before because of the belt.

16. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

17. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

You are right I should have clarified that for him thanks for doing that.

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Looks good David!

19. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Thanks John, post up pics of your 212 I would love to see them.

20. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Here is how it sits now: :cry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last summer before the tear-down:
    [​IMG]