1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who else had this problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Oct 13, 2013.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Gf after you?

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My wife's Caravan did that a few years ago. Went on Google and found the fix for it. It was a series of things you had to do.

4. DareDog

2005 1500 i think its speed senor its called. need to solder a new one in how hard of job is that? first thought send it out but now thinking of doing it myself? it was off by 70 mph.

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Its likely not the speed sensor. Check how fast your odometer goes up, it should be normal. 2 of my trucks do it off and on, its the stepper motor on the needle, it was a recall a couple years ago. What I've found is, at least with my trucks, the ones with the digital gear selector screen will have this problem vs the clusters with printed letters and a yellow light for each gear won't.

6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Like above stated, its the stepper motor. Get on USspeedo.com. They can fix the entire thing for 100 bucks.

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Or you can fix it yourself in about 20 min for 7 dollars. Any monkey cold do it.

8. DareDog

well trying to fix it myself will see how that goes :mechanic:

just bought on ebay $18 for 4 stepper motors, .

also the tow haul does not work is that from speedo being off?

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

No thats from the yellow wire in the column shifter being broken. I believe you can pop the cover off the bottom of the steering column and get to it.

10. DareDog

well got 2 new steppers in it one for tach and one for speedo tach one works but speedo does not work now. wont move. any ideas??? it was very easy to change.

could it be speed sensor on transmission instead of stepper motor?

11. DareDog

well put another stepper in it did same thing got looking at it and did some damage to circuit board. need new one or different gauge cluster now.