1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who does work for @#$%$ BRICKMANS?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Brickmans are you reading this?

Anyone here take any of their work for plowing before?

We took two bigger sites this year in NJ that came down originally from Brickmans, we don't sub directly for them, they send the work down to another larger company and then its divided out to about 6 of us, my company being one of them.

Its now January 22nd, and yet NJ has seen no snow accumulation for this season yet, but we have salted local area accounts 10-13 times so far. The two bigger brickman contracted sites they've NEVER called the company ahead of me to salt. They give me the word when they get it from Brickmans.

The last couple smaller storms, ice, slush, about an inch worth of snow, i got curious so i checked one of these big sites that we have yet to service, and guess what, it was already salted!

I checked it after the next storm, salted again by 6am and it was already fully melted so it was done earlier in the night!

I told the company ahead of me that subs us the work to stick these sites you know where, they got pissed off and didnt realize Brickmans was salting them on their own too, so they then had a meeting or discussion with a Brickman rep again and now don't have any of Brickmans sites, im guessing Brickmans told them that we would ONLY be plowing.

How would you feel? We start of the season specifically designating two trucks to one small area because of these two large sites, and actually a 3rd that was already canceled a month ago for unknown reasons, we never got to service that site either after setting up marker stakes :realmad:

Id assume they think we will sit back all winter long, and the ONE time NJ gets a 4" storm or more, theyll call us asap and want service asap and put the heat on to have their site serviced immediately.

I since have tried to make some adjustments, moved one truck somewhere else, dropped a couple more accounts on another trucks route and have taken sites in other farther areas for less money per service. Its absolute bullsh1t how these big companies operate. If i was contracted with them directly i would have already filed papers to sue them for breach of contract for these properties. It has caused us to lose out on salting services for two bigger properties probably say 10x or more. Thats a major loss in anyones winter services operation.

Not only them, but the whole BS i posted about a week or two ago about Lipinskis in Marlton NJ that is jerking the sub contractors around. If you search for them online, you can dig up a SIMA article on them and it praises them about how professional they are and how efficient and honest they are and how well they treat they're sub contractors.

I hope anyone reading this that doesn't know who these two companies are will learn to stay far away. They will try to burn you at any turn and stuff you with paperwork beyond belief to justify not having to pay out an invoice for properties you already serviced.

I've also set my new main goal for this year. Any properties that i KNOW 100% Brickmans or Lipinski's services we will bid on those sites first this season for landscape maintenance. We may not be 100 trucks or 1000 employee in size, but we can still handle any of these same sites they service.

If we gain 1, 2 or 3 of them, thats revenue lost by them and we can make the same profits bidding on that work than other work that any other big or small LCO has in our areas.

Lipinski's site http://www.lipinskiland.com/
    we applied for sub contract work for them for 2 years, never a call.
    Now im thankful for that, we have no contract with them for direct competition.

Brickmans - dont even think theyre big in this area but what do i know
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I personallt have no contact with Brickman But, my plow shopuse to do all rhe work on their plows and man did they have some mangled plows from the pics i have seen. Along with what you are saying he states that they have a hard time paying their bills but yet want their equiptment serviced first. It's as though THEY are the only contractor around using Western products. Just my 2 cents worth.
  3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

One of my subcontractors Use to plow for Brickmans in town. Last winter was a pretty good winter for us. Anyways, when we would get a weekend snow, they would bring in someone else to plow it (maybe cheaper) and not use them. This year he is not working for them.
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

This is why you get your own accounts! Subbing from a sub seems too far disconnected.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  5. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

worked for brickman and we alwas salted all the lots no one else dis just to let u no. and brickman is the best but the mexicans get me mad tho.
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

they drive around here in the summer with a 20 foot enclosed trailer with 3 wheels . the fourth is gone. no rim nothing . its been that way for 2 years .
  7. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

just like bakerc8. i work for brickman and the only time we deal with subs is when we hit a certain trigger for loader/backhoe work. if we dont hit that trigger, all the plowing/salting is done in house by brickman. and yes the mexcivators to make me angry some times
  8. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

i dont sub i used to work their under there salary and did it in the winter and Summer.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah i know, well i take some work from a couple guys i know that run a mangement company... and as much as i like them as individuals.. im finding that every one of their accounts was already subbed to them or subbed twice before it gets to them and they have the intention to sub it out too.

I mean take a $500 plowing account per push
    1st company that deals with client takes say $100 and subs to sub under them for $400
    next contractor company then takes it takes $50 of it and subs it out to someone else for $350.

By the time we get there for $350, its not a good account already, theyre not going to get the best cutting edge service we offer some of our other clients and when there is a problem, its the last place we want to be.

We had building managers come out and request us to put more salt down in the back parking lots etc. Other wanted more ice melt around the doors or in corners of parking lots, as if to get every single parking spot good with salt.

When your only making $40 to visit the site, and say $100 in salt costs and only getting paid $140~ or more.. .if i put down more salt im losing money by being there. The client though feels of course that theyre paying $300 per visit and they want $300 in service.

Now if brickmans subed out an account, WHY do they feel they should ever be at that site?

When we take accounts subed or not, we have prices in place for , salting services, sidewalks & parking lots, per push per inch or ever 2" or just one push per storm at the end, loader stacking hourly rates and trucking rates if it has to be removed from the site.
  10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I say let's get a coop of plow site members to go out and get all the Lipinski jobs next season. I already have a contact for the Kindercare Centers they cover, and I have a great contact for the CVS stores they cover. CVS requires that one contractor take charge of a big chunk of store, but hey why not!
  11. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

12. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

We actually passed by a brickman plow truck fully involved in flames on Int. 76 and we had 2 brand new fire extinguishers on board .

The employees were safely on the side of the road kicking stones.
  13. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

They are here in our market. Don't know too much about them I wouldn't trust them that is for sure!
  14. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

One of the biggest brokers around
  15. plowindiesel

sle, not once did i say i disliked hispanics. actually, i would have to say almost all those of hispanic dissent that i work with are some of the hardest workers that i have ever come across. its just a little frustrating having to explain myself 10 times over.
  16. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah, thats why most "non large" companies dont take those county wide contracts, none of us can service an area weekly thats that broad.

I'll be on a mission though lol. And their so arrogant to post on their websites all of their references, contact information, HOA accounts etc... makes it easy pickings if i attain just one.
  17. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

iv only seen 1 brick truck in my part of town.
  18. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

You're obviously upset about the work. A few things that I see. You are saying that you didn't even directly sub to Brickman, but rather are a sub of a sub. Do you know what terms that company agreed to with Brickman?

I know with Brickman at least, that they do have their own equipment to plow and salt with, but I'm sure in order to be successful, they need help of subcontractors, although maybe it is only for plowing or larger storms.

The other thing is that it has been an extremely light winter for the mid atlantic, SE PA, and Central/South Jersey. There has been a few salting events, but thats all. I would think that they would have to keep there own people occupied and paid, before they go out and call in subcontractors. I also noticed the trend in the Philly area this season has been holiday storms. Alot of businesses were closed, and typically where I would have my own sub out salting, in most cases, I could myself salt, either because the client didn't need the service, or there was no immediate need to have it salted. I'm sure they may have been in the same boat.

The other thing is that they are the contract holder. So they are ultimately responsible for the site. I don't think that they would give anyone 100% control of a jobsite. It didn't sound like you or the other sub dealt directly with the client and I doubt you would. They do a ton of snow business, but they are primarily a landscape contractor. They will do what they have to do, to ensure that there client is happy and they maintain the landscape contract.

Also did you just fill out the online form with Lipinksi or did you actually call them and set up a meeting? Until someone knows who you are, I don't think you will get very far with any company. Also, why not just sub directly with Brickman? If they knew what you had invested into snow removal, maybe they would be more apt to use you? But it sounds like they don't even know who you are.
  19. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

that sucks man
  20. plowindiesel

as a Brickman employee, i know how it goes in regards to our subcontractors. I can honestly say that all of our work is subbed out directly from us and that we do not sub work to a contractor who then goes on and subs the said work out. i'm not sure how different branches go about this but this holds true with the particular branch i work in.