1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Does "One Timers"???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by EGLC, Dec 30, 2009.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Who on here does the "one timers" or people that only call if its over 6"??? Last storm we had, I received over 35 calls from these people and passed them all up. Now I'm thinking next storm once I've finished my route I'll go out and do these people for some cash....

Anyone else do the same?
  2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

If they are right next to a job that I'm doing I will take care of then right away, I can always use the exyra money ;)
  3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

One timers still== $$$$$
    I'll take all I can get...
  4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

COD!!! Nice to have gas money.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plow them out one time ,then hand a contract for next year with double your normal price for plowing and have them sign it right away.
  6. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Money is money. I can't pass that up, and what Grandview said. Hand them a contract. If they stop me at my truck while plowing, instant $$ 1.5X the average cost or 2x if they want it done. . . NOW.
  7. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I do all that I can get. Its like a little gift from the snow fairy, you don't even expect it and then poof there it is a job where you can get double what you normally would and both parties are happy. Money is money.
  8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Last storm my phone was ringing off the hook. I stopped answering and changed my voicemail. I had 12 or so messages. Called them back and got like 5 of them after my regulars were done. Ill take all I can get after a storm. Well worth it.
  9. DCL

DCL Member

I would have to agree with everyone else. Last storm we had 30+ calls. Answered them all and told them they were on the list after we finished those already under contracts. About 12 of them want on board with the regulars list. Plus the extra cash for the last minute hassel. Well worth taking the calls.
  10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

No, I stopped taking the "one timers" this year. Around here, the one timers are all the cheapos that no one else will plow either because they are trying to save a nickel. I understand where you are all coming from, but I'm in a position where my route is full and frankly, but they time I finish my route, I'm past ready for sleep. I am refusing ALL additional work as of right now, even ones who want to be done regularly. I am just giving them the name/number of someone else, and let them take care of it.
  11. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Must be nice to be in that position; I'm always looking for more work.
  12. RSR_NH

RSR_NH Member

I agree, I always take them. However, my route is nowhere near most of you guys' in size, so I can understand. I wrote up a small one-time contract as well, just to be safe. Two signatures later, they're plowed out and we're both happy.
  13. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

I take them, for cash only. I charge more than I would charge a regular customer and depending on how long I've been plowing and what type of mood I'm in some times allot more. Example-$100 buck take it or leave it. I always take care of my regular customers first. This is a good was to make a couple hundred bucks cash along with the money I bill from my regular customers.
  14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't any lady like a "one timer" especially if it's over 6 inches? LOL :D
  15. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

hahahaha I wouldn't mind plowing a lil bit of both. :D
  16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'll do them if I'm close to the drive, or once my route is finished. One thing I've noticed this year is that one timers who call here want an exact price based off of some half a$$ed description...such as horribly underestimating the size of the drive or not mentioning it's gravel under that four foot of snow, or the best not mentioning it is a circle drive (which i hate)....so anyone who calls who wants an exact price gets told no thanks
  17. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Not even if you see it face to face? Have them sign a waiver?
  18. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

yup. I take em all. Lots of times they turn into regulars. If nothin else its gas for the night or dinner with the wifey later on.
  19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yup,plowing is a lot like sex.Nothing wrong with a 1 timer.And I suppose{not that I would know,;)--if you have the right equipment]you can get paid for both.:D
  20. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I use to hate the onetimers who would shovel their drive just wide enough to get their vehicles out. Later in the season,when the bankings got high and frozen,they want you to beat them back because they ran out of places to throw their snow. I would make sure regulars are done before I did unscheduled work. Obstructions in drives I'm not familiar with are a PITA, my friend ran into a well casing plowing,it was a little expensive for him,it cut the wires going down to the pump. plowking