1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who do you trust for a forcast???

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Plowtoy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I was just reading in the off topic section and had a handful of people saying accuweather isn't any good. I have used their forecasts and have had good luck but, just wondering if their is something better. Right now I DVR 2 local news cast and check accuweather often and if I put the three together, it seems to be pretty darn close to what actually happens. Any other ideas???

2. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

NOAA is good

3. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Farmers almanac always.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The rock out side my window. :laughing: AccuWeather forecast 4.4 inches of snow for last nite, we got nothing.

5. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

X2 and my own eyes when I look out the window.

6. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

I wouldn't believe any forecaster, I don't even believe my own eyes some nights when I look out the window to see whats "actually" there.

7. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I got tired of looking out the winder, so I was wishing I could rig my puter to recieve an email when we
    actually have accumulating snow on the ground. like on those sites not close to me. I live in a rural community and have to drive 40 miles to my first route.

Till then, stay safe and may everyone receive nice 2 to 4 inch snow falls
    Merry Christmas Y'all

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/ridgenew2/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. doberman

doberman Member

Meterology - thats a funny term.
    -ology or "ologist" would mean you are an expert in that field of study - such as in geology, you are an expert on rocks and earthly processes. And it is science based. Science states that for any hypothesis or "prediction" to be viable, it must be able to be reproduced accurately and repeatedly.

Meterology can not predict events accurately and repeatedly at an acceptable frequency. Therefore it is not a science and meterologists are not experts. Meterology is in the same category where "voodoo" and "palmistry" belongs. Basically witchcraft.

Don't believe the hype.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I use the Weather Bug app for my phone for when I'm on the go. The radar is accurate.

Same goes for the radar on the Weather Channel. Seems like it is spot on. Some other radars either don't pick up some of the lighter storms, or is showing something that isn't there.

The weather channel seems decent on their hourly forecast and also the long range.

I do watch the local weather men a day or two out from a potential event.

If you also want to know what a storm is doing, you can see how much snow areas that the storm has covered before it reaches you.

Ultimately, it's really a matter of using multiple sources and come to a conclusion on what you think is going to happen. Sometimes instinct will be your best info.

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Being from SW MI, you probably watch the same guys I do (if you watch them at all), they called for .2" overnight, we got 2-3". We were ready, but we weren't ready. Felt like we were caught with our pants down this morning. Seems like about spring, they finely have the winter forecasting down.

11. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I use Weather channel on my phone, and and dvr a local guy outa cleveland

12. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

noaa.gov and intellicast.com

I use intellicast for the radar, but I stick to NOAA for the forecast. They seem pretty accurate and I like the detailed written out forecast they provide. Not only do I like it, but noaa.gov is a pretty trusted source. So when a customer questions my call to presalt etc. I show them the forecast I printed to justify my decision. Works most of the time.

13. rhyan6

rhyan6 Member

setting the alarm when they call for snow. tis the season