1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who do you go to for weather?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hickslawns, Feb 16, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have seen several posts mentioning weather reports or who to use to track the storms. Just thought we might all help each other out if we pulled our weather checker resources together. I use the obvious weather.com and will list a few other sites of interest. List those you wish to list and maybe we can figure out the best ones. I usually pool info from 4 different internet sites and take the middle predictions.
    www.weather.com
    www.crh.noaa.gov
    www.wunderground.com
    www.accuweather.com

Any I am missing?

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

One of my customers. He is the head meteorologist in our area for the last 15 years. I just call him on his cell to fined out whats really going on. (found out what public is told is total different) Then let a few select friends know whats going on.

The last storm he was off by 15 minutes in the start time and 1/2" in accumulation. Not to bad.

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I go to the window and look outside. In 23 years of plowing I have never been wrong. Right now it is mixed rain and snow. more rain then snow and no need to check again for 4 hours.

4. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

i always carry a ruler too!!! lol :rolleyes:

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

lol thats probably the most accurate all the time. Seriously, I go to NOAA.gov , if you click on the link for forcast discussions, you get the info that each shift leaves for the other, sometimes its pretty interesting and insightful. But some local nws offices don't have that link there for public viewing.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The big window in my greatroom works best for me, or if I'm in the bedroom, I look out the door. I'm usually correct 100% of the time.

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I forgot about the ruler, I keep one of them in the truck, and a couple in the house, they are pretty accurate also. You are right about NOAA and the forcast discussion, however their batting average kind of sucks this year also.

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

9. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member