1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who chardges taxes on invoices?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by the new boss 92, Feb 1, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

who here puts tax on there plowing invoices and does taxes for snow removel for thoughs who work a partitme or full time job? just curious who does and who doesnt.
  2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

part time and everything gets declared and sales tax is charged.
  3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I take it your talking salestax. That will very by state, as each state has different salestax regulations. So, in short there is no set answer to this question. Most states have free salestax seminars so you know if your complying with the state salestax laws.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since I live in NY ,they tax every thing!
  5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

sales tax on commercial propertys only. Residential checks are made out to my name. I do a EMS lot that is tax excempt
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Are you selling goods or services? Illinois does require charging (and collecting) sales tax on goods. They do not however, charge a tax for services (such as snow plowing) rendered.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Be grateful Grandview that you're not in Putnam,Dutchess,or Westchester County.You get to miss out on the newest,f***** up the most,unfair tax of them all---this MTA tax that has got me fuming.It's based on a percentage of what an employer pays out in withholding and unemployment taxes ,ALL to benefit the MTA out of NYC.In other words,because I have the ''luxury'' of being able to purchase an over-priced train ticket to see the Yankees in the Bronx,I,being an employer of 1 [myself,I'm a corp.],have to pay for this great ''privilige'' to support the MTA. Sorry to rant and hijack--I know this is about sales tax. 81/8% on plowing/salting in my county.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Everyone in NY supports NYC. We have the highest electric bills in the country but live next to one of the largest hydro plants .Also our sales tax is 8.75%
  9. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

Ditto, I include tax on all my invoices.
  10. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

Sorry to hijack also, but ALL of NY pays for that mess called New York City. You just have the unlucky "privilige" of paying more. Here around Albany there were some talks a while back about NYC becoming it's own entity, like Washington DC. Don't know why the talks ever stopped.

6% Sales Tax on all plowing and salting invoices here in CT!
  12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Yea were number 1. We charge 5% federal sales tax, then we add that to the total and charge 7.5% more provincial sales tax. Total sales tax 12.87%, wait a minute that is not a good thing. :cry:

The good old Canadian Government is still putting a hurting on their citizens!:nono: People here in CT are used to paying for Sales Tax on items they purchase, not services. From what I've been told by my accountant, there are very few "services" that need to charge Sales Tax; Ladnscaping and Plowing are two of them!
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How do you guys think Canada provides "free" health care?
  15. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

As of right now in Indiana there is no sales tax on labor, but with the state of the economy rumors are it will change soon.

JDiepstra, Guess what is going to happen in here if Obamacare goes through? (side note - I don't want to talk politics!) This is a plow forum and I love plowing!
  17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

True enough, and I would not have it any other way. When my 14 year old daughter got cancer, 2 days after being diagnosed, she had an operation, and started chemo right after. It was all free did not cost a thing. Very happy it was not in the hands of an insurance company looking for loop holes not to pay. Am a little bitter when I lost dear friend in Florida, because the insurance company said her treatment was experimental so declined her. The 400 grand to try and save her life was to much, she passed 6 weeks later.

Sorry to hear that Paul! My grandmother (85) lives in Sherbrooke and from what she tells me, the care for younger people is better. My Uncle lives in Longeuil, whereabouts in Montreal is your shop?
  19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Right next to your uncle in St-Bruno. If ever you come up this way give me a call, lunch is on me.
  20. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Same as Maine. The charge for your truck is not taxed. But if you sell/use a bag of calcium/salt, you need to charge sale tax.