1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who changes their own hydraulic fluid?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Kwise, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

My local dealer wants $199 plus the cost of fluid to change the hydraulic fluid in my Boss V Plow. Seems like a steep price, but I haven't done it before. It it something most people can do themselves?
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I've never ever changed fluid - never ever had a problem.

Change fluid why?
  3. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Its very easy to do that price is very steep if you search you will find all the instructions for doing it
  4. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Could the dealer be taking the reservoir off and cleaning the screen, etc?
  5. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Do it every year before plow season in all my plows. My father makes the hydros for Boss and i am a firm believer in any maintenance.
  6. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

do mine every year, very very easy. my plow guy wont do work for me that i can do myself, makes me learn my equipment. takes about 20-30min, wont take you more then an hour your first time. theres a thread on here telling how to do it. i would do it yourself if i were you. 199 is crazy unless they are taking the hydraulics apart and cleaning everything like gusdust said.
  7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

ordered the fluid last week, going to change it myself for the first time in the next week or so.
  8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Your plow guy must not like money.
  9. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

no, he likes having a loyal customer base that he builds good relationships with and doesnt take advantage of. as a business what would you rather have, be very busy on a storm fixing problems that need your assistance or not being able ot get to those problems as fast since your busy fixing little stupid problems that an educated customer can easily fix themselves? he had me install my mount and wiring myself as well as change my fluid. i know where everyting is on my truck and can fix just baout anything aside from a catastrophic failure in the field and be up and running. im very grateful he has basically made me learn all this which is why im a lifetime customer nad push anyone i know to go through him for anything they need. im sure all his customers also feel the same way. definately a bad move on his part :rolleyes:

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

We do ours every fall. its not hard. we push the light towers up, and pull the drain plugs. If you want to get every last drop out, pull the cylinders, and compress them, and take off the hydro hoses and blow them out.

Just fyi, you may need to put a pipe wrench on the plug, They are torqued on pretty good. Also if you mess it up trying to get it out, remember there is a magnet on it so if there is any shavings inside the tank they get stuck to the magnet. So your basic hardwear store one will work, but isn't effective if you happen to get any metal shavings in the tank.
  11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i just looked it up on here and now im golden!
  12. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

That price did include cleaning the screens. I plan on doing it myself. Lots of people tell me to change the fluid every year. Thanks for the advice.
  13. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

its easy to do i do mine every year jus pull the bottom plug and clean it cause there is a magnet on the botom of it to collect all the metal debrie in the lower housing where at in ohio do you live. i work at north royalton power and could get you a price on it if you want
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I hope you're joking
  15. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I'm in Hartville, next town north of Canton. Thanks but I plan to do it myself. I bet you were busy last winter. You get a lot of lake effect in your area?
  16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Nope, not joking.

Never had a problem and I use them just a bit.
  17. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

ya that one storm really dumped down some snow hopefully it will be the same this year
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It would be a wise move to change it. Use isn't the only thing that matters. Fluid gets dated just like anything else, not to mention the amount of condensation that gets in the tank from warm to cold, even annually. It WILL freeze, its just a matter of when.
  19. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We plow 25-30 nites per year, oldest plow is 5 years x 4 plows = alot of nights, I just leave well enough alone and it works for me.

Now that I said that I'll have four or five freeze up on me in one night....

IMO - there just isn't anywhere near any abuse on that fluid. What you do to the fluid with a plow in one year is about what you do to your trucks tranny fluid driving once to the grocery store, if that. It doesn't get hot, which kills fluid. The only bad thing would be the freezing of any condensation, which does happen using tranny fluid instead of plow fluid and I've heard of it happening with other plow brands, but with mine, I've never had the issue at all.
  20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And I service them and deal with froze up ones often. 100% of the time the guy says "I never had to do anything to it and all of the sudden this happens"...................It's b/c they never did anything to it is why it happened. Rarely do plows malfunction that are serviced regularly. Sticky valves, burned up pumps and motors, freezing, clogged screens, you name it. EVERY snow fall they come in like clockwork. It will happen. You're trying to preach to the choir ;)