1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who brings a chain saw with them when they are plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Nov 27, 2008.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I always do incase there is a blow down in the road. If it's a hardwood tree I can cut it up and throw it in the back and bring it home for firewood.
  2. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ya we always come across down tree in the Rd ive had to turn around a few times cause a RD is blocked, but no we arent packing saws, proubly should though.
  3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

once i get my toolbox in i might consider it probably not a bad idea
  4. muskoka sandman

muskoka sandman Junior Member

I ailways have a saw with me, most of my plowing is long cottage rds with few spots to turn around.
  5. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I normally have mine in the truck also an ax, up here in the woods you never know.
  6. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I carry my 18" stihl wb28(oldie but goodie) with me. Last storm it got some use. Lots of downed trees in the road etc.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Not usually but with the squall earlier in the fall, it sure would have been handy!
  8. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Yes, I keep my saw, fuel, bar oil and tool kit with me all the time. And I keep the pole saw accessible and handy but not in the truck. When I am not plowing, I find winter a good time to find dead/dying trees and harvest them.
  9. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I keep the following in my truck box
    all basic tools,western plow repair kit,tow chain,(2) 16"&18"Stihl MS 250 saws an axe a babseball bat,blowtourch,pb blaster ,silicone lune ect(you never know i do plow in some rough areas) but always have a tool box ob hand
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For Big storms I do
  11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I cant say ive ever seen a downed tree in a snow storm here. Granted its mostly suburban/city/farm fields areas around here.
  12. Griffinlc

Griffinlc Junior Member

I don't currently, but you got me thinking. Thanks
  13. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Not really needed around here.
  14. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Don't pack a chain saw but I do put a Bobcat skidsteer in behind the cab:nod: Heck it only weighs 3000 lbs the truck can handle it:eek:
  15. mico lanscaping

mico lanscaping Junior Member

Not to bad of an idea.... i will think bout it the next time it snows!
  16. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I don't, but my boss apparently does, and he's always just a few minutes away.
  17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Same here.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i carry one never know when you come across a whipper snapper that needs trimmin.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So what kind of plow did you finally get??
  20. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I haven't in the past, but after last year I plan on keeping my Husqvarna 372XP in the cab.