1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who are the people?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beherit316, Sep 15, 2003.

1. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Who are the people that don't plow with shoes on?I have a friend that recommended to take my shoes off and plow without them.It seems to scrap alot better and do a cleaner job, but is it really a good idea?

I'm aware that it can and usaully does do damage to parking lots that have patches or loose spots.

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I can't think of anyone who has ever plowed with the shoes left on .

Of course with urethane we don't have many of the problems we used to with steel.

This is even off the Boss website...

When plowing on dirt or gravel, lower the plow shoes. This will raise the blade so you don’t scrape the surface away. When plowing on asphalt or concrete, raise or remove the plow shoes so that you scrape as close to the surface as possible.

3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

:nono:

Shoes! Shoes!.... We don't need no stinkin' shoes!!!!!!!!!!

:D

4. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Shoes are good for one thing...To keep that one piece of garage cement down way over there in the corner!
    You should have a clause in your contracts about not being responsible for damage to pavement etc.

5. Manx

Manx Senior Member

No shoes here

If all that you were plowing was gravel lots they would be
    great other then that there useless

6. windmill

windmill Senior Member

No shoes in Canada either, we do it barefoot. After my first or second plow I realized that I was manufacturing a skating rink, took the shes off and have only looked back each time I've slammed into/bounced over that one manhole cover I promise to remember every time I go to that one account. (Maybe this year I'll take the cover off).

7. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We don't use shoes either. I have never had any problems. We also do have a clause in the contracts about damage to the surfaces.

Rick

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I plow all gravel and hard-pack private drives and lots. I've never used shoes. This comes up periodically and the consensus is the shoes make good:

1. Garage door stops
    2. Boat anchors

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

We dont use shoe's either. We plow roads and drivways, all but one driveway are paved so there is no need for them.:)

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

we are 98% of the people on this site

only way to scrape to the black top is without shoes

cardoctor

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I find shoes very useful, they hold down 20 -30 empty salt bags on the back of the truck, I think it's great that plow manufacturer's supply these weights with the plow.:D :D

Bill

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

No shoes here either.I take them off every new plow and sell them to the rookie's who keep bending them first time out. :D

13. szorno

szorno Senior Member

We NEVER use shoes on pavement and only occasionally on loose gravel or dirt.

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I never use mine either, I used to keep them off the plow altogether. Then I figured I might as well keep them on for that little extra weight but just keep them raised up to the highest point. The little extra weight may help with backdragging, cant hurt. Mike

15. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I don't recall where I read it, but sometime ago in some plow manufacturer's book the recommended something along the following lines....

Set plow shoes so that the cutting height is 1/2" above the surface to be plowed. Plow parking lot and then apply de-icing material to melt remaining snow and ice.

Hmmm... don't think so. There was a good link a while back where someone had welded some dolly wheels to plow shoes to move it around in the shop. Other than using plow shoes to prop a door open, I haven't seen a better use for 'em.

We also remove so we don't damage our plows - don't want to catch the shoes on something when working.

16. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i only use the shoes for summer storage:nod:

17. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

They make great paper weights. I actually left them on this plow but they have always been removed from the other plow trucks weve had. They really serve me no purpose at all.

I can see a commercial right now. I PLOW SNOW SHOELESS!!!!!!!!!!! or SHOELESS JOE PLOWMAN LOL.

Jay

18. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I used to plow with the shoes but there is about the same amount of yard work so i took them off and just bump up the plow in the soft driveways.

19. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Easy one.
    Plow shoes are great in the truck bed as shovel keepers.
    Just place the handle of your shovel over it & you will never loose another one.

20. john222

john222 Junior Member

Shoes go in the garbage unless you have a plastic edge on your plow and you plow brick driveways. Most customers like to see blacktop when you are done plowing, not the thin layer of snow the shoes leave.