1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

White paste on oil dipstick?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LarsonLawnCare, Jan 28, 2010.

1. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

I have a 2-stage Toro snow thrower that I bought new a year ago. I used it for 2 snows last year and once this year. I just checked the oil today and there was a frozen/white paste on the dipstick? I am guessing that moisture got into the oil? I will be changing the oil tonight but what do you think could be the problem? ...and how can I prevent it?

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

is it stored inside?

3. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

Yes it is.

4. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

This is going to sound stupid but is the oil fill cap on tight and all your lines sealed? we had a walk behind toro mower that would get water in the oil when the guys would spray them down. the cap wouldnt seal correctly

5. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

Where the plastic meets the metal not the top cap, but the tube that runs down to the engine, it turns a bit when I unscrew the cap.

6. starc

starc Senior Member

Yep, water makes oil white. Some vehicles sweat and creat it but not usually on the dip stick. I get it on my filler tube quite often in the winter.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I get this stuff in my wife's Audi, she usually drives it on 3/4 mile hopes to drop the kid off at the bus stop and she was shutting it down to save on gas until we started having oil pressure problems due to the crap plugging up the system.

Depending on how alan you are you have a few options.

- Start the thing and run a tank of gas thoruhg it...get it good and hot and the water in there ought to evaporate.
    - Change the oil to some chaep stuff, run it to get it hot and then change the oil again to your normal stuff. This will get the water out and any possible undissolvable crap. If you do this I highly recommend you dump a bit of seafoam into the crankcase on both oil changes, using none in the crankcase on the final oil change. This will help to break up and dissolve anything thats built up in your crankcase that shouldn't be there.

8. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

thanks I'll give it a try

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It is mpisture and doing what Mayhem said is a good way to fix it.
    When you are done with it each time you use it...let it sit outside till it cools before putting it back in the garage

10. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Hmmmmm...could be parafin if you used penzoil...

11. TGM

TGM Senior Member

it's water. a tiny bit in the machine will work it's way out and wipe the dipstick now and then. any significant amount should definitely be flushed out.