1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

White Night Back ups

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mdb landscaping, Oct 2, 2002.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

With winter approaching i am thinking about adding some additional back up lights. I did a search and couldnt find anybody who has brought these up. Has anybody installed these back up lights on their truck? how did they work out? they look really nice and i was just wondering if anybody had them?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It shows as being two 55 watt bulbs. Could two 12 volt batteries hooked to a 100 amp alternator handle them with headlights, plow, heater, radio etc operating at the same time? I would think if you're plowing a drive or lot, you'd have them on all the time; I'm usually going from forward to reverse to much to turn them on and off. I'd think about getting some, just worried about draining the batteries :realmad: .
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

you can wire them so they just come on when you put it in reverse it says.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd be more concerned about damage than power draw, 110 watts isn't too much power considering today's high output alternators. With them mounted as low as they are, I think you'd smash 'em backing into a snowbank.
  5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Was doing research on a light topic and hit on this thread. We have been installing the White Knight's to quite a few trucks in the area. One change is to replace the 55W bulbs with 100W bulbs. Run a 10 Guage wire or tap of of the power and back up lights for the 7 pin trailer plug harness.

Pelican is right about damage. Back into something and you'll be replacing them.

The switch on the back is nice because you can run them with the back up's from the truck or turn them on by themselves.

Have also wired aux lights off the stake pockets that run with the white night. Relay will handle a 30Amp draw with no problem.

6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I saw those awhile back. I wonder how they allow you to access the safety chain loops... it looks as if the loops get covered or at least become hindered to easily access them. I'd hate to have to remove it everytime I tow as their website suggested in one of the pages! I use a rectangular plastic lens/housing single fixture with a 100w halogen bulb. Runs off the 12v aux line to the 7-pin Bargman connector controlled via relay on the reverse lamp circuit. Plenty bright and overcomes the factory's fetish for dark tint rear windows.
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

They definatly limit access to the loops on some hitches. You can get the hitch pin in but you have to reach behind the unit to do it. A little tight on both.

p.s. did you get that plow to drop slower???
  8. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Fellows reading the post here save some money go down to your napa or parts store and buy the black rubber cased spots or floods which ever you prefer every truck of mine has one mounted on the drivers side rear lower bumper hook it into the reverse wire and your all set plenty of extra light and about 10 bucks is all yoou will spend , there on a hinge mount bracket so if you do bank hard into a snow bank you can adjust it back into place with no problem i have used them for years the best thing since sliced bread.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm with Fred on this one.The cheap rubber tractor lamps work just fine.Just make sure you get a wide flood,and not a spot,or it won't light up much.Leaving them loose is the key,so they fold back under the truck when you back into a snow bank.
  10. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I have had these lights since last year, they are o.k. The lenses cracked on both sides, not from hitting anything though, I believe from the change in temp. from cold to hot. I just cracked a lense the other day, backing up to my trailer, the first time that I did that. Not sure it they make replacement lenses, will have to see about that. I wired mine to a switch in the cab, so I could turn mine on when I wanted to. Also, no problem with getting to anything on the hitch, must be my luck.

11. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Well, I'll still make my own- it'll either slip over a draw bar or slide into the reciever, but it will just plug into the 7-way on my truck to get reverse power. If I do one that goes around the drawbar, I'll have to add another 7-way socket on the unit so I can still get power to my trailer lights. I'll also build it out of STEEL and surround the lights with enough metal to protect them. Also, it will protect the stock Fix-Or-Repair-Daily 7-way, which folds up under the bumper in a stiff breeze, nevermind a snowbank! Oh well, they got it to market first, but mine will be better.
  12. duke

duke Junior Member

I have them and they work fine, I plow streets for my town. At night I leave them on all the time never had a electrical charging problem. I wired the switch into the cab for easier control of them.

As for putting you receiver in and out it is absolutely the worst design I've ever seen, as well as you can't get to your safety chain rings. My simple solution to those problems are to hang a chain between the 2 safety loops and hook my trailers chains to that and the 2 solution is to leave my hitch in it also thats the hit before the lights.
  13. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

No man, it's still Summer in my mind!!! I haven't even dusted off the treestand and archery opens this Saturday! Actually, I'm finishing up a project in the garage and will dump the plow inside to do some minor maintenance to it soon. FWIW, is the Fisher hydraulic oil worth staying with or is the ATF fluid just as good. I was told the Fisher oil is better formulated to extreme cold and less likely to foam under pressure/circulation. Does it have any anti-leak or seal swell additives as well over the ATF stuff?

Regarding that rear lamp assy., I figured it'd be a bit:realmad:h to deal with in my specific case. You prolly saw that d@mn 50lb.+ monster W.D. ball mount hangin' off the receiver back there, right? It's enough of a job to access the pin as it is. That thing has so much drop that it moves up and down, clunking from the designed-in play to prevent rusting in place. I had to drill & tap a 9/16" thread underneath w/ a grade 8 bolt to snug it from making the truck sound like it was dropping an axle everytime I hit a bump! Darn low profile trailer A-frames and high ridin' Rams! Someday I just might mount the trailer's axles under the springs for about a 4" lift.
  14. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

Right on bro! Tractor Supply has the flood types in plastic ABS construction. I removed the swivel mount and replaced it with a stainless steel hose clamp long enough to wrap around the hitch itself. The hose clamp snugs everything real tight and the bumper is offering protection to the lamp since it's under and set back a bit.
    In the winter, the ball mount gets removed anyways and I have a square tubed aux bumper that slips into the 2" receiver. Right now it's filled with sand for extra ballast but I am considering on outfitting it to hold air as a novel idea for a tag-a-long air tank. I have to calculate how much volume of air it would hold to be of any practical purpose for a tire fill. That bumper is lower than the factory one and it keeps peeps from sticking their (car) noses where it doesn't belong! With a blade up front, side nerf bars, and a full length heavy wall pipe in back, I have "some" protection.:nod:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I found a replacement bulb for the 4" round lights that's a bit brighter than standard, # 4466. I think it's halogen and the lense is cut in a nice flood pattern.
  16. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Those look like a decent idea , except the potential for damage is high especially during a LONG winter where the snow banks keep getting closer closer and closer . I know I would nail them several times while maneuvering in tight spots .something in the back stake pockets would be out of the way .
  17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

What I did with my first truck was whittle down a 2 x 4 to fit tight in the pocket, then mounted a tractor lamp to it. Attached zip cord for power and ground and wired in a 2 prong plug from Radio Shack.

I just stuck it in the pocket and plugged it in when the storm was coming, popped it off and stowed it behind the seat after done plowing. Makes a nice work light too.
  18. Santo

Santo Banned

Iv had 2 set up like that for years with no problems.

Just tapped into rev. light wire.w/ self ground.

Reg. work lights ....not K.C.'s

Just not as bright as wired separate with switch (Aux)
  19. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I got a cheap set of dual 55w Halogen backup lights (rectangle) at an autozone or something for about $25.

They mount underneath the hitch but behind the bumper a couple of inches, so they are protected somewhat, if you really get into a snow bank they are vulnerable, so I leave them a little loose so hopefully they will just spin.

They went on in about 20 min with a reverse light tap and a ground. In a dark situation they are incredible, but in an area where there is light you really can't notice them until you are close to an object.

There isn't a constant power so if I need light to work or attach a trailer, I switch the key to on hit the parking break and put it in reverse.
  20. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

I love mine they really light things up!

dscf0001 (resized).jpg