1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

white film on fisher MMII filter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by aquku, Nov 29, 2013.

1. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

We have had this problem for the past month or so on a fisher MM2. The plow operates great for some time, but after a while it slows down then completely stops. After removing the resevoir, the pickup filter is covered in a white film. I do not think it is water because the film have a course/fiber texture to it. I thought a hose might be breaking down from the inside and making deposits in the resevoir, but I changed those and the problem persists. Anyone ever seen this before? I tried to fix this 3 times so far, at a loss at this point.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What does the fluid look like? What does the magnet look like? What does the reservoir at the top look like, like an inch or 2 down from the top?
    Not sure if you have it or can how about a pic?

3. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

The fluid is relativley blue, light in color. The magnet is clean, no evidence of the material on the sides of the cannister. I do not have a picture. The filter is just loaded with this white material...

4. dieselss

Ok. I'm gunna say water. Have you changed the vent? What's the canister o-ring look like? Have you taken the motor off and looked at the internals? Sometimes water will get in through/past the motor

5. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

I will take the motor off today and see what it looks like....I will also take a look at the vent..thanks

6. dieselss

K. Pay attention to the motor to pump mounting surfaces. We had one that the pump was corroded real bad and not letting the motor sit flush

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

And the bolts break too.

8. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Try a couple ounces of seafoam trans tune in the fluid. That will help with moisture.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sounds like the packing on a cylinder might be breaking down.

10. aquku

aquku Member
    from 14432

This is what I found today....

I took everything apart on this plow today. I found that on all the threaded connections, the previous owner or different mechanic who worked here, used a heavy duty teflon to seal up all the connections. Everyone I took off, there was some of this residue from the teflon in the cavities/channels. I cleaned it all up and put is back together. We will see if that was it...it had to have been

thanks