1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

White Cement !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Feb 6, 2001.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

This last storm in Boston dumped about 6 inches of the HEAVIEST SNOW I can rember since the april fools day blizzard of 97. It was only 6", but it pushed like 12". Was it as wet as this in the rest of the region? One side note, THANK GOD FOR THE DIESEL :) :) .
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD you said the right word Diesel I would not be with out one.97'chevy 6.5.Have fun this last storm here was like pushing cement here much heavier than light and fluffy.
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

How about 12-14" of that heavy slopp!! It just kept coming and coming! Thats what we got in SE PA!!! Heavy, but made it through OK. Time for a mid season tranny fluid drain. I was workin' it HARD! Full tilt in low range....BIG BLOCK...AARRGGHHH!!!
  4. J Berry

J Berry Junior Member

20+ inchs in central NH my first real event......
    Got stuck toooooooo many times. I wish I had a
    f350 or more for this nightmare.
    It was light to start out with but then it got real thick
    still have people to finish up.
    time to ZZZZZZZZZ

FIREMAN Member

We got about 12" of nasty heavy snow, I would have rather pushed 18" of fluffy nice snow than that heavy crap. My 460 never had such a hard time before, didn't use low but I was thinking about it.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Weathermen said we got 16-17 here in Western CT I measured around 20" in my front yard though. Very Heavy. Even the 350's get stuck once in awhile. I did late last night. Oh well what can you do.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The snow as so so wet,I used low range most of the time,just so the trans didnt have to work so hard.
  8. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

We got 4-6". The bottom 2" was packed solid. My Ford had enough motor/gear. NOT enough weight. The old HD 1/2 ton only weighs 5800lbs with ballast and plow. Not enough # for this slop. V blade would have been nice. Could not go fast enough to roll it off the blade...too heavy.

9. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

WOW!! here in Michigan we are in the land of the 2" snow events. have plowed around 27 times with (i think) only 3-4 times over 2" and only once (last night) wet snow usually all fluff!
  10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

We set a record for the area for most snowfall in a 12 hour period, 23" There is 20 at my house, my accounts ranged from 18-22 inches. Thank goodness my parking lots got done before sunup (I was out straight from around 2pm Monday to 5pm Tuesday) once the sun came out tues morn the snow turned to, as someone else said, wet cement! Got stuck twice, once the blade went over an old pile which had froze and dropped down the other side, 10 min with a longhandled shovel and Im free, second time, thankfully at the last stop yesterday afternoon, I pushed all the snow from a driveway (walls on both sides) oyut to the apron, about 6 ft high, figured Id blast thru it as usual, unfortunately as I hit the pile instead of going thru the pile of mashed potatoes the plow went OVER it so here I am with the front wheels off the ground and 8000 lbs of truck undercarriage sitting on wet compacted snow. Once again out with the longhandled shovels. 1/2 hour later got enough snow out from underneath that with one rocking and another pushing it came free.

Thats what happens when you dont sleep for 36 hours.

Once the sun has had a chance to loosen the hardpack this am I will be back out toi cleanup the scraps.

Im glad I have a Fisher and not a full blade trip. All the guys with Meyer who didnt plow every 6 inches couldnt keep the load on the blade.

I did not use lo range but once, to show my helper what a PITA it is to plow with it LOL.

I will trade one of these storms for a dozen 3 inch storms any day.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

diesel for plowing snow? why are you glad you had a diesel? for power? when i hit the gas i want to go like he!! and get to the end of my run and hit reverse, back up and start again, not wait for a turbo to spool up and start making power so i can get moving. i run a 97 F-350 with a 460 and i can tell you ive never had a power issue plowing any snow. in fact most of the guys that i know that plow have diesels and i wish i had a dollar for ever time ive heard "i would take a gas over a diesel for plowing anyday", then i wouldnt need to plow at all.
  12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not to start a "gas vs. diesel" war,but a diesel produces much more tractable power than a gasser.I have several gas powered plow trucks,both with small and big blocks,and yes,they work well,but there are situations (like pushing back piles)where the gassers would bog down,or lose traction,and a diesel chugged right through it.All the extra weight over the front wheels helps too.

As far as turbo lag,todays diesels are much more responsive.I have two modified dodges,which make over 250 HP and 700 Ft/lbs of torque,with NO turbo lag.Will run circles around any gasser,and get 17+ MPG doing it.These truck both run 11 Ft blades and have no problems pushing just about anything.They are like bulldozers.
  13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think it's more for the fuel savings and that they will go thru just about anything.I can plow for a long time on a diesel and about half that time if was a 460 I know I used to drive a dump with a 460 and was wishing it was a diesel.
  14. Plowboy

Plowboy Member

The big reason for me plowing with a diesel, is the fuel economy, roughly 1.5 gal/hr tops on fuel consumption. Also the extra weight on the front axle keep me pushing where the other guys with gas have to quit cause they spin out. I have plowed next to big block gas motors this year, and back in december we started at 5 pm and by 5 am they needed fuel, I was still on my first 20 gal tank. My plow was bigger, and I was stacking the snow, they were doing the back dragging, and short runs.

This depends alot on the driver too, hammering the throttle,and slammin and jammin will burn a lot more fuel, than my usual steady back and forth.

you can get equivilent power out of a gas motor, you just have to rev the motor to get the power. thats what uses more fuel as well as makes more heat in the torque converter.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Well said guys. My guess is that anyone who thinks that you have to wait for a diesel to power up, doesn't know that most Diesel's make thier torque between 1500-2500 rpm, perfect for plowing!! Also as somone here has said they really come into thier own when stacking, or pushing a pile over a curb.
  16. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

What have you done to your Rams? Edge, PwrMax, VA? They wake up nice don't they. The smaller turbine(ETC), has zero lag once you add more fuel. Did you modify the "hard line" wastegate setup? Email me offline if you want. FZR007@aol.com