1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

White 6 pin controller connecter

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GM_Fan40, Sep 19, 2011.

1. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

I just installed a new midweight on my truck and the.connector that connects the controller to the truck harness is very lose.and loses connection. im also having a problem where the plow sometimes only turns right.no.matter what button i hit which i.believe is also related to that connector because if if push.or twist.it the plow.operates properly. so what im wondering is it it possible to either replace the white connector on the truck harness or just splice the two together?

2. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

It might be easiest to just use a nylon wire tie to pull the 2 connectors together .

3. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

u have to.push it.more to.the side then straight in for.it to.work. i might be able to slide a small.piece of.paper in there and wrap it in tape. but id rather do a more perminate solution.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You can get repair ends for the harnesses from Western. If it's the plow side of the plug just get the whole wire since it is short and easy to remove & replace. If it is the truck side they cost more because they are larger and of course more trouble to r & r. If it is the truck side then it might be easier to cut and splice and repaire kit on the end but I suggest you use bare barrel crimps and then put heat shrink on them. Don't use those cheezy butt connectors that come with insulation already on them. They don't seal so they tend to corrode and fail quickly.

5. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

im referring to the connector inside the cab of the truck where you connect the controller too. if i was to replace that length it would require replacing the entire truck side wire harness.

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I have new pins and the connector. 10.00 a side plus shipping if your interested.

7. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

how would i connect the new to the harness? just cut off the old one and match up the colors and splice it together? i got it temporarlyfixed. i took a piece of thick paper and folded it down into the side of the connector and taped it.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't replace the connectors. Simply bend the pins a little with a very small screwdriver, such as those used for eye glasses. I've yet to have to replace and entire connector if it was still intact.

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Like B&B said try bending them. If you have a wire pull out then you should probably replace. My ends are all new crimp on and install in new white connector just like factory.

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you do need to replace the plug you just cut it off very close to the original plug then strip back the insulation a bit and crimp new connectors on the wires. Finally you push the new connectors into the appropriate location of the plug. But like the others said, it is not common to have to replace them. Are you sure it's the truck cable that is bad? That half has the male pins, the female pins in the controller are more of a problem when they get spread so far that they have no tension left to clamp down on the male pins. Sometimes you can carfully pinch the female side a bit tighter but they are very delicate.

11. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

yeah i went to the dealer today and swapped out the controller for me for free. and it is.tighter.but still too lose to.make a good solid connection.

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The truck side is female...

The controller is male.