1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"White 2500HD at Auction"(don't buy)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

If anyone happens to see a 2002 White 2500HD Ext. Cab Long Box with 8.1L/Allison and 28,000 miles don't buy it.
    After 5 trips to the dealer in the last 30 days for tranny problems i have traded it in and bought a new truck.

New truck:
    2003 2500HD 6.0L Ext. Cab short bed Blue.
    Power seat, stereo buttons on the steering wheel, dual heaters,, just some of the new toys. I'll fill you in with the rest of the options later,,i haven't even seen the truck yet.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Im curious, why did you choose not to get the Dmax? Congrats on the new truck purchase, I bet you sleep better knowing that problem is gone! I cant wait to see how you set it up.

-John-

3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Had it with truck??

4. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

The Duramax is a $5010.00 option, plus another $2295.00 for the HD automatic (Allison 5-speed), which is required with the Duramax, I'm told, unless you go with the HD manual tranny. Those prices are from Novemnber when I ordered my truck.

The 8100 is "only" $850.00, plus HD tranny cost. I'm a piker who only drives a coupla thousand miles a year in the truck, so I got the 8100 w/ Allison. Suits my needs for a "heavy hauler."

Diesel is going for almost $2.00/gallon around here. Regular gas is $1.69.9-1.77.9 today on my drive home. But, diesels will get "much" higher MPG's over comparable gas engines. Plus, there's the lower maintenance and high-mileage capability for diesels.

You have to look at what driving you do. Pull a trailer for long distances and drive 40-50K per year? Yeah, go for a diesel. Me, couple thousand miles max per year and drive a mid-size car the reat of the time (don't tell anyone, OK?)? Big block. I love that engine. Plus, I love the way the Allison shifts: quick, seamless, not jerky.

OK, now to left field. WHY, OH, WHY don't U.S. full-size truckmakers offer a "basic" diesel engine? You know, a nice little (emphesis on little) in-line 6 for use in the ½ tons that'll get good mileage BUT NOT COST AN ARM AND A LEG?

Am I the only one who sees a real need that's not being met here? Why only high-cost, high-end diesels engines?

Sorry to rant and rave, but it just seems like such an obvious need in the marketplace. First U.S. truck builder to offer one will get the entire market (for a time) for such a truck.

That's just my feeble 2¢.

Anyway, thanks for the head's up on the white, used truck. Glad you stuck with GM.

5. Earthscapes

from WNY

Snowy---i didn't buy the duramax because i wanted to get away from the allison mainly. I know not many people are having problems with them but i was.

Bigred-- I have to stay with GM. With the GMS discount and the $3000 rebate right now i walked into a new truck for $1054.00.

I couldn't see not buying it with the problems i had.
    The truck had a paint problem, 1000's of little rust spots, my many tranny problems, and i crushed the roof, and second door on the drivers side, not to mention all the other scapes and dings and the 28,000 miles on the speedo.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

BigRedBarn,according to GM's own durability testing the average 8100 will last as long as the average Duramax diesel.Of course there are some that go 1/2 million miles,and some that fail at 30000 mikles,but GM has the 8100 at 200000+ miles,and the Duramax at 250000+ average service life. Pretty close IMO. Earthscapes good luck with your new 03,the turning radius is so much better with the short box.I hope this one serves you as well as your old C/K did. The 4L80E is a proven performer,you hav had good luck in the past with,I dont blame you one bit for going back to it.

7. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Dumb questions:

Can you get a short bed on a 2500HD? I didn't think you could. It doesn't matter for my needs, as I need an 8 foot bed, but I was curious.

Can you get snowplow prep on a short bed?

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

You'll probably be glad you got rid of it.The rail dust,or little spots in the paint will never have gone away without a strip and repaint.

Best of luck with the new truck.

9. Earthscapes

from WNY

Big Red--- yes to both questions
    the 03's come with a 145amp alternator instead of the 130amp in the 02's

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Earthscapes - you made a smart decision - don't go with Allison tranny. I have heard many, many problems about them from another source on the internet.

The 6.0L gas engine have plenty of power. Probably more power before you could break traction when snowplowing. Also it will be much easier on the truck front end, and it will have more capacity of carrying snowplow. 4L80E is probably the best transmission for GM full size pickup trucks. Alot of people are very successful and happy with them.

So again, smart decision! ;) And good luck with your new truck! Too bad it is 2003 ugly design! :D Just kidding. :)

11. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Great! now you can make 5 more trips to the dealer with the ticking noise in the 6.0L engine. I am on trip #4:(

12. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

From what I have heard from GM, they said that the ticking noise on 6.0L gas engine is normal and does not indicate any problems. Alot of people reported that but did not have any engine problem. It's just a little annoying noise.

13. John DiMartino

KIsland,why are you taking it back for somethign that is normal.If they replace it the new one will tick too.The 6.0 is vey unrefined ,just think of the poor guys that paid 55K for the 345hp Caddy version of the 6.0,(Escalade) and it sounds like a sewing machine,knocks in the morning ,and uses oil if they tow or run it hard.I have a friend with one,he loves the truck,hates the 6.0.

14. Earthscapes

from WNY

wxmn- you hit the nail on the head "I bought an ugly truck"
    I'm wondering what i can do to make it look nicer,,thoughts anyone ??

ksland-->> Turn your radio up Louder

15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

This is gonna sound crazy but i think it's still on topic,i noticed a ticking in my 99' Chevy with the Vortec 5.7(the now "old" Chevy)I thought for sure it was something in the valve assembly and really had me worried,a couple weeks went by and i got looking at it and feeling around and it was the ball inside the PCV valve rattling around and sounded EXACTLY like a valve problem!I'm no pro mechanic but am mechanicly inclined and been fixing my own vehicles and equipment for some time now and that pretty much blew me away!A $3 part and i thought it was ready to shoot a valve out the top,anyways i would assume there is more to the 6.0 probs than that but i thought i'd share that anyways:waving:

16. John DiMartino

Arc,glad it was just the PCV valve. The think no one wants to hear id tht this isnt a problemIt is normal for the 6.0(everyone wants it fixed,but it isnt a problem.My Cummins has a knock too:D ,they fixed it in the 2003 models,:( .

17. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

John,LOL,i had an old Toyota 4x4 with a 4cyl. and a couple hundred thousand miles,pulled into the post office one day next to a buddy with a chevy 6.5,only my truck was still running,his was off,my buddy came out,started his up and pulled away and the guy i was talking to looked at me:eek: and said "i thought that was HIS truck running!My poor old Toyoti used to knock,cough,spit and cry vital fluids all over but i never really stopped to think that it sounded that bad:D

18. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Make the Chevy front end look better

Earthscapes,
    Here is my recommendation.
    Front end sheetmetal and trim comes off easily. Remove, then replace with GMC front end.

Great conversation piece! You can tell them it was special ordered.

:D

19. Earthscapes

from WNY

Well i think it's starting to grow on me. I really like the 6.0L seems to have plenty of power so far. The truck handles the plow alot better than the old one to. All i have done so far is add the plow and the mini light bar,,i don't think i'm going to letter this one,,maybe some magnet signs:

mar01#06.jpg

20. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Earthscapes- I like the new truck, hope you have better luck with this one. I have about 8500 miles on my 6.0 so far, no problems whatsoever. Good luck, Mike