1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whitch runs cleaner Diesel or Gas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dieselfreak, Jan 1, 2005.

1. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

whitch runs cleaner Diesel or Gas fuel

2. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

Well if your comparing my rigs, it would definitely be the V10s over the Powersmoke.

3. dzd9fy

dzd9fy Junior Member

Need more information on what you mean by cleaner.

Gas has lower total emissions, until Jan 2007.

As to the impression of diesel vs gas, I would put the DMAX in line with all gas, then the Power Stroke then a used diesels by either or Cumins.

4. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

From what I have read before, Diesel is cleaner burning and pollutes the environment less. I can't remember where I read it, but I was curious awhile back, and googled it, and found some info that broke it down into each toxin/chemical that each released, and diesel was higher on three of them, and was much lower on others. I believe that Diesel was still the cleaner burning engine. Diesel is more efficient, so therefore it doesn't spit out nearly as much unburnt/raw fuel.

5. 81GMDump

81GMDump Junior Member
    from Canada

From what I've been reading Diesel running on High sulphur fuel pollutes more than gas engines of the same size. Low sulphur fuel puts it around the same or a bit less than gas engines and if you run on biodiesel they are fractional compares to gas engines of the same size as far as pollution. I haven't gone and tested any of this myself but that's what is on one of the US goverment sites.

6. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

If you think about running Biodiesel, you better check with the engine/vehicle manufacturer. Ford only recommends a maximum of 5% Biodiesel in the 6.0 PSD. Last time I checked into Biodiesel, in the Chicago area, only one station near my location sold it and it was 20% Biodiesel.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

7. 81GMDump

81GMDump Junior Member
    from Canada

Biodiesel is mostly for warmer weather and it's hard on the old rubber seals that most older diesels had, also from what I've read as it starts to gel pretty badly just below freezing at 100% at a 80% 20% Biodiesel it's usually as reliable as regular diesel in the cold and most Diesels manufactured after 1996 have 0 problems running on biodiesel. I have 2 diesel trucks and thinking of running on it for the summer. diesel is around $.08-$.10/L more than regular gas this year

8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Ford's TSB:

Ford is advising that any of their vehicles powered by a diesel engine, regardless of manufacturer, may exhibit engine or fuel system problems when using fuels with greater than 5% Biodiesel. Any problems when using fuels containing more than 5% Biodiesel should be referred to the fuel manufacturer. Ford only recomends using fuels containing no more than 5% Biodiesel (B5) in their diesel powered vehicles. In addition, as per World Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) catagory 1-3, fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) must meet EN14214 and ASTM D 6751 specifications. Broadcast Message 0884