1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whistle at low temps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Boondox, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

When it gets cold (minus 15 or lower) I sometimes hear a loud and high-pitched whistle coming from up front while driving down the road. It comes and goes, with each time only lasting a second or two. I drive an 02 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L and auto. The noise goes away when the truck warms up, and nothing appears to be wrong. But what's complaining when it whistles like that?

Pete in Brrrmont

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My 04 2500HD does the same, as did my '00 1500.. both GMCs. It is the transmission whistling when the fluid is cold, goes away ounce it come up to temperature. Never had any transmission troubles with my 1500, and I pulled some heavy loads with it... Will see about the 2500HD, but I doubt I will have any problems, and I have already worked it some.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I had this high pitched buzz/whistle (sounds like a teapot boiling) toot toot under the hood when I was SEVERELY overheating last month. It was VERY cold (single digits), but my truck was VERY hot. Scared the crap outa me.

Still don't know what it was.

But by your description, thats what I heard.

Sounded like a warning beep.

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Thank god i'm not the only one having these problems.Now who has had the windshield vibrate going down the road, that will freak you out.Now the whistle for me always sounded when I go North and South only...

5. drplow

drplow Senior Member

Please Tell Me That Noise Is Not My Windshield Vibrating.

6. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Only happen when the plow is on?? I have the same thing on the passenger side sounds like a tapping noise??

7. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i cant figure it out at all.
    the bug deflector makes noise
    the antenna comes loose and makes noise
    the ice bounces around under the wiper area.

well if nothing is broken, then it must be fine. :confused:

8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

TLS, yours was most likely due to the overheating. coolant and air escaping from the system will whistle like that. I had a foreign car once that had a rubber reed type device at the end of an overflow so it would whistle when overheating. I've had the same noise from other vehicles without that device. In that case I believe it to have been created as it passed under the rubber gasket on the cap.