1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whining in 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hfdresq1, Nov 30, 2002.

1. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

lately, when i engage my 1985 k20 into 4 wheel drive, i hear a whining noise. the hubs were greased within the last 6 months when i redid the front brakes. could it be from the transfer case? also, is there an easy way to check the fluid in the transfer case and is there a filter on same?
  2. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

No filter for the transfer case - Checking fluid level is performed by removing plug on transfer case - oil level should be just under plug hole if I remember right. The 85 Chevy K20 I used to have always had a bit of a whine to it in four wheel drive - I think tires and road conditions also contibute to the whine. However that aside, those old transfer cases were tough in those trucks neither myself or anyone I new ever had one go bad. Check: transfer case fluid level, universal joints (front driveshaft & at wheels), check front differential fluid level. Hope your problem is minimal - I sure do miss my 85 Chevy that was one good truck.
  3. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

check the fluid if you have an aluminum tcase it is ok to put in atf but I would recomend getting some synthetic manual trans fliud for it if you have a cast iron case 80 90 gear lube is what you need (synthetic recomended) draining your current fluid and installing synthetic may help the noise but I have heard many that jjust make a noise and thats that but if it is heard over the radio loud exhaust or tires you may want to take it to a trans shop to get a pros opinion its hard to dia noises over the net
  4. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

Turn up The Radio! Hehe J/K