1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whining howling noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nathan11507, Jan 31, 2013.

1. nathan11507

nathan11507 Member

Okay heres what i got a 2002 chevy avy 2500 with 8.1. Now last week when it was deep cold out theres a whining noise and sometimes howling coming from engine dept. Now the sound was coming from the alternator area...nd then when it warmed up a little as in air temp the sound would go away for awhile now it is happenin all the time.....i have now loss in pwr no lo dimming lights.....starts up perfectly everyday even when it was sub zero...the voltage meter on the truck shows one line above 14 and never goes down ....unless i have the plow on then it moves a little...so whats the deal is the alternator going cause i dont wanna by new one if it is really the problem but the sounds is pissing me off and driving me nuts...and when i step oin the gas lately it gets louder.....so idk
  2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

poss . alt or p/s pump moaning .
  3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

its your fan coming on and off. My d-max howls when ive been running on the highway and then i get off and sit at a light. When i take off its howling real loud and then will quit.
  4. nathan11507

nathan11507 Member

Nope it was the alternator.....bearings were going bad in it....so put a newer bigger one in....less then hour.....165 amp for 144 bucks gotta love that and love connections
  5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Where did you get the new alternator?
  6. nathan11507

nathan11507 Member

local buick and gmc dealer in town