Snow Plowing Forum banner

Whining Customers

3K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  ahoron 
#1 ·
Hi,

Well looking for some advice. Went to pick up a check today and the property owner had me read a letter that a bar sent at a plaza I do for him. Well I was a little shocked since we do an AWSOME job at this place. I said well not much better I can do and he didn't seem to upset about it, just said try and improve whatever. Anyways I feel obligated to reply as I think they are out of line, here is the letter. We do all the side walks and the plaza every time, cleanups are when possible, not always within the window of 2 am to 5 am (only time plaza is totally empty).

Thanks
Jeff

White Black Font Paper Publication

See less See more
#4 ·
That's what I did. I don't think they are either, there was like a HUGE list of issues lol . The tar thing is funny, the parking lot is crap and my plow caught on a pot hole and pretty much exploded throwing asphalt chunks everywhere. It was actually funny, however not my fault, they must have seen. I love the SEMENT.

#5 ·
I have a little experience with difficult customers, first of all if the guy can't spell "cement" a few poorly plowed spots in his lot should be the least of his worries........jokes. Honestly, I would go and meet with the guy in person, set up a meeting and do it professionally. He’s likely going to tell you in person all the issues he’s been having, and I would suggest making notes, say little in the form of defence, most people just want to be heard. After the conversation let him know that you will be putting a plan into place to accommodate his requests and you will get back to him later with the details. He will likely have a new respect for you and your professionalism. Call him back a few days later and give him the storey he’s looking for, and after the next snowfall call him back and make sure everything is ok, good communication is key. That’s what I might try, not making any promises.

#6 ·
Hey,

That is a good approach and something I have actually already tried this with the neighbouingr business, which didn't work however I have resolved that issue. I think these people have a beef with the landlord, I think im just going to ride it out and keep up the level of service we have been providing. Its been one crazy winter.

#7 ·
This guy writing the letter cant even spell the word cement correctly. SEMENT in the third to last line. Just make sure some gets back there to cleanup and everything should be fine. and if they want salt then salt them and make sure they pay for it. that should settle all of there whining...

#9 · (Edited)
None of the Garbage bins are blocked, thats B.S on there part, also usually cars are left in the parking lot overnight, so I can't clean up that one area. Not really my issue i dont think. There is a restuarant that opens at 5 am, people their at 4 so that leaves me a window of 2 hours IF the owner leaves at 2, not usually gone until 3 so its not always a possibility with a 1 truck operation. Not to mention I messed up so my account are all over the place lol. I still manage to clean it out pretty well.

#11 ·
Wow that sounds like a little strip mall I do. I have till 6 am to have it cleaned up. The bar across the street uses the lot as their parking lot as well (which is a no no and there are signs posted) and they whined about the sidewalk not being done. In my contract I do not have to clear the walk that runs next to the main road. So after them whining a few times and me getting tired of plowing around their cars, I got the go ahead from the city, landlord, and police dept to plow them in. A few times of that and no more whining and no more cars in the lot. Quick solve to that problem, lol.

#12 ·
You'll never satisfy everybody.
This weekend we were doing snow removal with a loader and a dump. Got an irate call on our answering machine from an apartment liver across the street from out strip mall complaining about the noise. He also emailed me about it. He was, to say the least, vicious.
I emailed him back, gave him my cell, and politely explained that the only time we could do this is at night. Daytime work in a busy plaza is only inviting an accident.
I also told him "it's Canada. It snows. deal with it."

#13 ·
'sement' - ha
- chunks of flying tar from going to fast = bs, if we don't plow quickly... they wont get plowed out. And them complaining about not plowing where cars are parked.. whatever
- ground water affecting building? more bs... im guessing this bar owner is not an engineer...
- go meet the guy and let him know how you can help in the future, give him your number or somthing... person who wrote the letter seems like an azz

#14 ·
I would'nt bother meeting the guy. He already has it in his head that you don't know what you are doing even though you seem to have a good handle on it. Not to mention it dosn't matter what he thinks, as long as the owner of the property is happy. I would tell him to pound sand.

#15 ·
Whiners! What are you going to do? They whine what ever you do. Like you have any control on what freezes or snow that blows off the roof of the place. Or people that get lucky and go home with someone and leave their vehicle.
We plow a big strip mall that has a "Save Alot Store" it will have 50+ carts sitting in the lot after they close.
They complain we will not collect them and move them to the sidewalk in front of the store before plowing.
Forget that ! I am not your cart boy !

#16 ·
Hey Jeff,
Just curious.... you dont work for the bar... you work for the property manager. If he's happy why should it matter that the bar owner has beef? I have one strip mall that I do where the owner of a restaurant opens at 5 am and is always beefing. Well I spoke to the property manager who actually maintains about 40% of the properties we do. He said that our service was fantastic and that as long as the plazas were all open by 7 am he was more then satisfied. The next time the restaurant owner complained to me I told him simply "I have been in constant communication with your property manager and if you have any specific concerns I suggest you speak to him."

I dont know ... just my opinion for what it counts.....

#17 ·
they also seem to believe that they are architects,structural engineers,plumbers,electricians and HVAC techs.. i wonder how they do running a restaurant. this is a rent dispute between the tenant and landlord. they are just looking for things to complain about to save on rent they're lease is up soon and they want to save some $$ in the next year.

#18 ·
LOL
SEMENT?
whatever.
Only question you have to answer is this.
Are you keeping the man who signs the check happy?
If he owns the property and is satisifed with you services, then you are doing your job properly. As for the bar owner, you might try to appease them a little, to save face so to speak on your business. Bar gossip could kill a small guy in a heartbeat.
Maybe explain to them, that you are simply trying to accomidate the property owners wishes for that lot, but if there is someting more you can do for THEIR business, then by all means, let you know, so that you can work out the details.

#19 ·
Oasis;521444 said:
Hey Jeff,
Just curious.... you dont work for the bar... you work for the property manager. If he's happy why should it matter that the bar owner has beef? I have one strip mall that I do where the owner of a restaurant opens at 5 am and is always beefing. Well I spoke to the property manager who actually maintains about 40% of the properties we do. He said that our service was fantastic and that as long as the plazas were all open by 7 am he was more then satisfied. The next time the restaurant owner complained to me I told him simply "I have been in constant communication with your property manager and if you have any specific concerns I suggest you speak to him."

I dont know ... just my opinion for what it counts.....
Yea the guy who owns the property didn't angry or anything but I don't think he likes getting this kind if stuff, however this was only one point of many he had on a few peices of paper, so i wouldent be surprised if it was a rent issue. I think for the amount of snow we have gotten it has been amazing service so I don't really have anything to worrie about, just going to ignore it.

#21 ·
Sounds to me like the bar owner is blowing this way out of proportion. I do know where you are coming from though, last week it snowed one inch at a small strip mall we do, their is a liquor store in the mall and he called and complained to property manager that people we getting stuck in his lot with four wheel drive. Now everone on here knows that isn't possible, any ways I told him I would take care of it, so I know exactly why you are pissed.

#22 ·
Had the same problem

I had the same problem with a commerical account, and I had a meeting with the owner, they were very impressed with our job, and then I sucked it up and talked to the manager of the place, told them the oputlines of my contract, and that if they wanted extra attention outside what the contract wants, they could hire me and my crew out of their own pocket to go above and beyond the contract from the landlord. After that meeting everything was fine, they actually called me to do work at their own houses, and told their other places about me. Like someone else said above, word of mouth can destroy a small company in a heartbeat. What took you years to build up, and all fall apart over what someone else said. Good luck.

#23 ·
send the guy a dictionary and highlight ENOUGH and CEMENT

#24 ·
It seems he is getting off topic with the tar & cement chunks flying out of the ground, WHICH IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY for the poor condition of the roadways. It would be up to the landlord to hire an asphalt & foundation restoration engineer to asses & fix those problems. On the other hand, if they want snow removed & tons of salt applied everywhere, just charge them for it. They gotta pay for it, but they'll be plenty happy though! :)

#25 ·
Cement and tar together? Is he trying to say asphalt but maybe couldn't spell that either? LOL That would be stone, not sement, I don't think sement and tar get used together.

Funny, we have a similar situation with a bar in a strip plaza, they complain about us doing the sidewalks and the "mess" we make (icemelt), so I made them sign a paper saying they would handle their own section of sidewalk, suits me fine--less shovelling and less material, same cost.

They also have regular customers and their staff that get drunk nightly, and while I commend them for not driving home afterwards I really wish they would all park together somewhere out of the way!!! Instead I have to deal with a half-dozen overnight parked cars (same ones over and over, including a work truck with ladders on a rack that stick waaaaaay out into the driveway threatening my windshield and mirrors every night) scattered throughout the (really small, tight) parking lot.

Thankfully, the owners of the plaza are really happy with our work (this is our 7th year with them) and even the new property managers they hired for the first time this year are happy too. In fact, theres a post-it note right in front of me that came with the last check from them that simply states "Thanks for the good service." and signed by the manager.

Was accused once of plowing in the garbage dumpsters at a gas station/store/subway I used to plow. Property manager called me in a tizzy, of course, I was dumbfounded. Told her I'd go there and get back to her. LEFT my dayjob in St. Catharines (told boss and he let me go but had to make up the time) went home to Niagara on the Lake, swapped car for plow truck and headed to jobsite (Niagara Falls). Got there to check the garbage... there was a 4" deep trail, 4" wide (cant get any closer than that!!) in front of the fence doors surrounding the bins. Seems the store staff had been too lazy to shovel that along with the sidewalks like they are supposed to. And the garbage truck guy was too lazy just kick it out of the way or just pull the door open... or tell the staff inside to bring a shovel. Someone calls the property manager, who called me.

Needless to say I was back on the phone with her basically (but professionally) ripped her a new one. Told her my job was not only done, it was done correctly, and this was store staff that had screwed up, and even still wasn't enough to stop the garbage guy other than for his own laziness. Why hadn't the manager gone to have a look if there was a complaint from the garbage man? Told her this how much effort and time it took to go there for nothing, and that it was her 'freebie', next time I got an unfounded complaint like that they would be charged for my wasted time.

They were a constant problem property. Dropped them after one season.

#26 ·
Wow the potholes are gettin worse with the freeze thaw of the ground. What are you to do go into the bar get keys and move the cars so you can plow the lot. Sure why not gas them up too. sounds like he's just a pita I wouldn't give him your number tell your customer if he has a problem with the service to contact you. Just be glad you don't have to deal with him directly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.