1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

while testing unimount motor the alt clicks then the plow motor stops working?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GSS LLC, Dec 17, 2014.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

alright, 1983 chevy with a 90 amp alternator upped to 140 amps. 2 brand new batteries. good connections throughout.

batterys wired like so-
    pos wires from alt and to starter and fuse block to batt 1+ . then from batt 1+ to batt 2+.
    negative from batt 1- to batt 2-. then from batt 2- to chassis ground.

while testing the pump motor for amp draw (183 amps), i would lift the plow and then continue to hold the button. after a few seconds i could hear an audible click from i think the alternator then the plow motor would stop running. letting up on the button then re pressing it and the motor would go again. i repeated this process several times.

what is causing the pump to stop running?

i noticed the click when i was testing amperage output of the alt. at idle with the plow deadheaded it would put out 67 amps. until the alt clicked and the pump stopped running then it would go back to 30 amps.

it puts out over 100 amps with the engine revved up a bit and the plow deadheaded. same thing with the pump kicking off.

any ideas as to what would cause this?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You sure it ain't the solenoid overheating?

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i dont know. the sound sure sounds like its coming from the alternator. the solenoid is on the drivers fender. alt is on the pass side of the engine.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How can you tell exactly?
    A) unless your under the hood you can't.
    B) it clicks and then your plow stops.....What sends power to your plow........ding..the solenoid.....wanna double Ck that click a little better?