1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

While Pushing Snow Plow Angles On It's Own

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Tomtsled, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

Meyers E47 9 foot blade. My brother tells me that during the last big storm while he was pushing snow the blade started angling on its own. Any thoughts on why this may be? He's 50 miles from me, I'm not with the truck.
  2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

My guess is crossover valve needs cleaning or adjusting.
    Possibly air in the cylinders?
  3. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

burp the lines... could be air in them.
  4. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

mine does the same thing at time, coming up to the pile it will angle all on its own...from the threads I have read it is either air or a bad crossover valve. I'm going to replace the crossover valve this spring since it is probably the culprit..
  5. rocklandls

rocklandls Junior Member

How do you burp the air out of the lines?
  6. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Maybe the crossover valve is working and allowing the blade to angle before something bends or breaks..... It's my understanding that they're suppose to give under X amount of pressure to avoid blowing lines and bending the plow... You might want to ask him how wet the snow was or how big the pile was he was moving when the blade angles on it's own before you start replacing things
  7. Max1

Max1 Junior Member

crossover spring might have broken
  8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

The cheapest thing to do is bleed the angle cylinders first. To do that remove the plow from the truck, and flip it forward so the blade lays flat on the floor. Connect both cylinders together and push the A frame all the way to the left.Now remove the quick couplers from the ends of both hoses, stick the end of the left hose in a container of plow fluid, and then put the end of the right hose in an empty container. Now push the A frame to the right. As you do it will push the fluid and any air out of the right cylinder and fill the left cylinder at the same time.

If this doesn't correct the problem check the pressure setting of the crossover relief valve. If you replace the valve DEFINATELY check the pressure setting. To do this you will need a 5000 PSI gauge. You simply hook it in line on one of the plow lines, in other words remove one of the lines going to one of the angle cylinders. Put the gauge on the pump in place of the hose, Then hook the hose to the gauge. I have a T with a male coupler on one side, a female coupler on the other and the gauge in the middle.

Now when you get the gauge hooked up simply push the blade against an imoveable object (like a tree). push with a slow steady pressure, and have someone watch the gauge to see how high it reads before the plow starts to move. Now no i'm not nuts, this is how MEYERS says to do it.

The crossover relief valve should be set at 3800 PSI + - 400 PSI
  9. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I had air in my cylinders the other day and I just got the truck pointing downhill with the plow down and worked it left and right a few times... as long as the rear of the cyl is higher than the ft it should work.
  10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

piles are a different story