1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

While changing my broken Pass.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gd8boltman, Sep 28, 2009.

1. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

side sway bar link I caught the outer CV boot with the sawzall and put a cut into it. Does anyone know if I have really to pop the ball joints to get the axle out to replace the boot? It almost seems as if I could remove the outer tie rod, loosen the axle nut, take out the four bolts holding the axle to the drive housing and slide the shaft out. Before I attempt this I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and if so if it worked. The truck is a 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton, just wondering if anyone has donr ir this way, or has another method that does not involve popping the ball joints either upper or lower.

Thanks for the help

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Why not give that a shot?? I always come up with ideas like that and the worst it would do is not work. Then you would have it all taken apart ready for the ball joints anyway. If it works, then it saved you a pain in the arse

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Yes you can, pull the shock. But it's probably just as easy/fast to pop the lower ball joint. Just LOOSEN the nut don't remove, and smack it with a hammer. Put a jack under the lower control arm before you pull the nut.

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I don't know if you have the old body style or new but when I had to replace my passenger side CV joint on my 98 K3500, we just removed the bottom bolt of the shock and loosened the top one and slid the shock out of the way and was able to remove the joint without taking apart the ball joints.

Wayne

5. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Just an update, it can easily

be done by removing the sway bar link, lower shock bolt, remove the axle nut, pull the four bolts on the shaft and pry down on the lower control arm a little and you can work it out and get the new one in.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Get it right it's 6 bolts:p

7. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

My apologies....

there was indeed six bolts, I stand corrected...