1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whick type of pump fluid

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by IFD158, Dec 4, 2005.

1. IFD158

IFD158 Junior Member

I have a boss rt3 with smarthitch, manual says to use boss high performance hydraulic fluid. is there any other alternative as my pump is out and am unable to get to a boss dealer(closed on sundays). thanks for your help
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Some big box stores, auto parts store, gas stations and truck stops will have hydraulic fluid. you want to get a fluid with an A,W All weather rating or one that will perform well at low temps.
    And in a pinch regular ATF will work too.
  3. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

4. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Stopped by my Boss Dealer to ask him what kind of fluid to use in my new BOSS. He pointed to several cases of ATF-3 and said thats all we use. End of discussion.

113.5" snow 26" on the ground

Happy Holiday

ATF will work if necessary, but the BOSS fluid is preferred, because it is thicker, which is what the boss is designed for. Meyer fluid is very similar and will work fine as a replacement. In addition, ATF tends to freeze up in very cold weather and will result in sluggish performance. The higher the percentage of ATF, the worse it will be. Fisher/Western fluid is glorified ATF.
    To my knowledge, use of the wrong fluid does not, in and of itself, void the BOSS warranty (though obviously if you have a problem as a direct result of the wrong fluid, BOSS won't want to hear it.) We had a customer that put hydraulic jack oil as thick as maple syrup in the plow and boss said that, once purged, it should have no permanent effect.
  6. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Boss, Western dealer doesn't push any other fluid just said to use ATF-3. They do the warrenty work so i'm not going to tell them what to use. I have used ATF in a western for 11 years.I never had a freeze up due to water(flushed every other year) and sluggish below zero for the first few minutes of use but what isn't.
    When the Western pump motor was replaced, oil reservoir was cleaned new ATF put in and a 1/2 ounce of Heet was added. This has worked up here for years I see no reason to change.

115.25" snow 24 on the ground
    Happy Holidays