1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which would you choose??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ngom12, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

I'm putting a plow on my truck. It is a 2006 Ram 1500. I've beefed up the front end and replaced all the parts that good bad on them. I may also put timbrens on but we will see with what plow I choose.

I'm intrested in 3 brands, Blizzard, Boss, and Snowdogg. Luckily, there is a dealer in the area that sells all three. He is trying to get rid of his 2011 stock, so i'm going to getting a good deal on one of these, I'm just not sure which one to choose. It's between the Snowdogg VMD75, Blizzard 8000LT, or Boss standard duty 7'6. They are all pretty close in price to eachother. Im really interested in having a V, but to be honest, the snowdogg just seems really cheep and flimsy to me. Im afraid if i breathe too hard it might tip over or something. Has anyone had any experience with these??

Im Honestly leaning towards the blizzard, but I wanted to see what anyone would say??
  2. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Boss all the way! Better plows and a company that cares about the little guy.....I know from experience!
  3. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I've only had Boss, but I can't imagine having anything else. My 8.2 Poly V is a 2003, I've used it for 3 years, and haven't had one single issue. I've had some instances I was sure I had damaged something, but it was fine. It's built like a tank, and for the most part still looks like new.
  4. dixiejwo

dixiejwo Junior Member

I've got a Blizzard 8000HD on a Ram 2500 and it's a real nice setup for rural/larger drives. No experience with the LT series.
  5. timpoth

timpoth Junior Member

For what it’s worth, I just started plowing 3 years ago (not that it snowed this year) with a 7.5ft western pro and the length drove me nuts. I have a 05 f250 diesel that is 6.5ft wide, so that’s 6in on each side straight and 0in angled. First problem was mail boxes, I almost have to knock my mirror off to clear in front of them and then I had to clear the snow off the street because having the blade straight just pulls it off the side. Any time there was a turn in the driveway I would always wind up driving over the edges of what I was plowing leaving packed snow on the driveway. One driveway I do is on a really odd angle and I slide all over the place on it, last year in a 12in snowfall I fishtailed just a bit and because there is no clearance on either side got stuck and had to dig the truck out. (yea I should have plowed with the storm, long story) I just got a 9.5ft western mvp but as we are not likely to get more snow till December it will be awhile before I know how that goes.

One other thought I run timberns front and back and think they help a lot. Unless you have done something else to stiffen up the front I think there worthwhile (maybe even worthwhile if you did do something else).
  6. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

Blizzard hands down
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

i have fisher and boss

I would get a 8 or 8 1/2 ft plow with a trip edge. I hate full trip plows
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Snow Dogg V. From what I have seen, Snow Dogg makes a nice plow.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What did you do to beef up the front end?
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you change your Avatar to Snowdogg Then.....:rolleyes:

Fisher all the Way...They Take care of The Little Guy....I have a Plow to Prove it.....:nod:
  11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

In all seriousness all three will Plow Snow.....Go with Your Gut...:salute:
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When you upgraded the front end (???) did you remember the tires and wheels. What is you factory FGAR
  13. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

to beef up the front end I took out the factor struts and replaced them with sticks of bacon....

Lol just kidding. I did replace the factory stuts, ball joints, lift kit, tie rods..all the parts on the front of a dodge that go bad.

I'm currently looking at a few 3/4 tons. I'm looking to drop my payment and my length which is nice. I honestly LOVE my 1/2 ton, and it is so hard to trade in a loaded truck you've worked your whole life for to get a base model 3/4 ton, but sacrafices muct be made, especailly to be successful in this line of business.
  14. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

if they are all the same price or close i would get the Snow dogg V. I have a friend with an 81/2 snow dogg, he has had it for 4 years and beats the crap out of his truck and the plow, the only thing he has ever had an issue with is the snow deflector on top of the blade and i think he hit an ice pile to brake it.
  15. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't own a Snow Dogg, I own a Fisher. He said he wanted a Boss, Blizzard, or a Snow Dogg; he didn't mention Fisher. If he had mentioned Fisher I would have suggested Fisher.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you replaced the worn components with new replacement grade parts?
  18. Ngom12

Ngom12 Junior Member

...and strips of bacon...:mechanic:

I see what your saying. I took all the parts that go bad on a dodge and replaced them with better, durable, parts. (ball joints, tie rods, ect.)
    I then took the struts and upgraded those. I told my parts guy what I was trying to do, and what ever he suggested, I put on there.
    I also added a leveling hit. Doesn't beef it up, but it helps with clearance.
    I talked to this plow dealer about timbrens, and he said they determine if the truck needs them or not after they put the plow on.

So no, I didnt take a 3/4 front end and put it on my 1/2ton, but I was proactive in replacing the parts that go bad and adding a few little things to make it more durable.
  19. NorthBound09

NorthBound09 Junior Member

I say blizzard but a pp is heavy not the best idea for a 1/2 ton upgraded or not.
  20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take it from someone that has installed a few plows (with an average weight of 471lbs plus mount) on that truck you need Timbrens and a counter weight.

The levering kit won't improve the plow mounts ground clearance when the plow is not mounted and could cause issues with Timbrens operating properly. There are certain requirements as far as height is concerned that must be met for the unit to operate properly.

So you understand that you still have a 1/2 ton front axle, bearings, brakes, hubs, wheels, tires and etc. are still grossly underrated for the loads you are considering.