1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which wire to purchase??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by tlrlc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

waytek wire question:
    i am wiring up some Vortex led lights to a truck. (8 total)
    im looking at waytek site and am dizzy with choices... which wire do i need?
    the wiring on the led's are crazy small 24size . i would get a 20ga or 18ga size to feel better about wiring them. but i need a pos and a neg wire to each light. so should i just get the 2 bonded 18ga wire or get 2 individual 20ga or 18ga wire and just tape them up myself? im not opposed to putting the 2 wires together to save a few bucks but want to buy the right one.
    HELP and thanks again guys!:help:

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I'd do the 18g myself just due to what it's doing...I'm not really good at the newer LED bars but if you want to keep a bound wire... Speaker Wire or Lamp Cord always works but use an OHM meter so you know which wire is which so you don't burn out the system. You can also check into some trailer wiring... they have black/red stuck together!

Good luck with the light...

3. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Find a CSA certified wire like a 18/2 and use it. It has 2 conductors inside of a sheath. It is way less likely to deteriorate and is usually far more flexible. It is also colored red and black. On a vehicle in motion, coupled with temperature extremes and corrosion, you want to use a good wire. Spend the $ now or spend the time and $ later to fix it again and again and again.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

my friend works at CSC and gets hella deals on all kinds of wire...exactly what you need

if plowsite allows i will pass along his info to any who email me.

Im not making anything here.....you go directly to him....but mods will probably delete this.

6. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

thanks so much everyone. i will be contacting mr.dissociative regarding wire.
    and for full disclosure - i contacted him regarding this post so he is not bombing it looking to make money.Thumbs Up

7. tlrlc

tlrlc Member

Mr. dissociative is the best.

well Mr. Dissociative hooked me up. he helped me decide on wire, where to get it cheaper and is the nicest guy! if only he lived on Long Island.... :(
    But he deff. deserves the press. :mechanic:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=64164

thanks again man!