1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which wire is it???

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Took my plow off this morning, drove all day and when I went to put it back on, nothing. Well, not nothing, I can connect/disconnect with the toggle switch, but I have no power at the plow controller. I've checked every connection I can find, looked for chafed and pinched wires, looked at the plug ten times, what I have found is, the brown wire coming off the solenoid is not hot; that is an activation wire that should only be hot when it's engaged, right? On the back of the toggle switch I have one terminal with nothing on it, I thought bingo! wire off, but there is no loose wire to be found, so that one must not be used... Apparently the power goes from the battery out to the pump motor area, then turns around and goes back all the way through the harness, which is what isn't happening. Also, I have plow headlights but no plowlight park/turn lights. Could that be related somehow? I found a broken terminal in the plug to one of the headlights, but I don't think all the power to run the controller goes through the plow lights first. Should work with no lights at all. I'm wondering if I can just run a jumper wire all the way back into the cab and onto the on/off button on my controller. Was just hoping somebody had seen this before. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Have you checked the inline fuse to your controller. The power hitch by passes the contoller so start there. It is a glass fuse ,I beleive it's 15 amps.

As far as your head lights they are totally indepndent from your plow. I would guess that the signal wire to your lights is rotten. I had this happen with the pinch locks they give you for stabbing the factory wires. I had to solider and shrink wrap mine. It took me a while to notice they were not working. I would guess it is just dumb luck that it happened now. Just a couple ideas to try !!!

3. Detroitdan

where should I find an inline fuse for the controller? I looked for one, didn't find it, and couldn't see one in my manual either. If there is one that's probably all it is.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

There is a single red wire coming off the main wire group about 20 inches from the controler box pig tail. And it will be hooked into your truck fuse panel.

5. Detroitdan

I'll have to look for that again. Didn't find anything like that last night, I thought it looked like the controller got power from way out on the plow motor. I think the only thing hooked into my fuse panel is the power to run the headlights, comes off the back of the headlight toggle.

6. Detroitdan

Well, that was it. I must be an idiot. I thought for some reason that red wire to the fusebox was just for the lights, but upon closer inspection it does go into the harness. I checked that last night and it looked okay, still plugged in but I guess it wasn't making contact. I pulled it out and put it back now everything works again. Yay! There is no fuse, the wire is kinda short so it must have been cut off by previous owner. I'll have to add one later, and make a more secure power connection. Thanks!!!

7. magnatrac

It's good to hear that's all it was! Now hopefully you are done with your break downs for the year! It would be a good idea to put a fuse inline on that remote wire to your controller. If you have a short you'll blow what ever fuse it is stabbed into ( hate to lose your radio while plowing LOL !!! ) Were you able to get your head lights fixed? Just curious, glad your plow is working again !!!

8. Detroitdan

yes, I'll put an inline fuse in soon. The lights are all working except the left turn signal, theres a broken terminal in the connector coming out of the grille. Just got back from my first trip around my route. Wow this stuff is heavy. Last half I was beating the ba77s off of my truck. I did get to show off a little, pulled a stuck tractor trailer up a hill into a parking lot. That probably wasn't too healthy for the old girl either, but once I started tryong I wasn't going to give up.

9. magnatrac

Yeah I hearyou on that heavy snow. I got in at about 4:30 and was out at 3:00 am. We only got seven inches but the wind managed to put 12 + in front of every garage door and on the walks !!! What dosn't hurt you truck will only make it stronger !!! Good luck!!!