1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Western plow do I buy?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kubotazd21, Dec 12, 2013.

1. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

Ok guys here's the scoop. I am a big fan of Western products plus my local dealer is only 10 miles from my home. I currently own and operate a 03 chevy 2500hd 4x4 with a 7 1/2 pro plow which I purchased new back in 04. After 9 years of use with no problems except replacing 1 seal on the main lifting ram. I am now ready to purchase a new western plow for my new truck. A 2012 Chevy 2500hd crew cab 4x4 short bed with the Duramax. Many new contracts this season and I just can not keep up with just 1 truck. Everyone wants you there at that the same time.
    Question is which Western plow do I get? I am leaning to the Wideout or the V plow or maybe even something like a 9 foot straight or maybe even the new Prodigy. I have several contracts with large parking lots like Walmart, Kroger and a Home Depot. Also a couple of subdivision with at least a total of 50-75 miles. Any help would be appreciated.

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Wideout!!!

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Definitely the wideout!

4. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I say Wideout because of your open lots you have.. I love my V plows and would put them on everything, all my contracts are tight Apartment complexes, small office lots were the V plows are perfect..

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 8'6" MVP, 9'6" MVP and a Wideout. If I had to choose only one of them it would be the 9'6" MVP. I started out this season with the Wideout on my personal truck but the plow just doesn't do it for me. Now one of my guys uses that plow and I've got the 9'6"...no regrets whatsoever. When I put wings on it I can carry WAY more snow than the Wideout. I should make a video that shows the difference, you'd be stunned.

6. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can make the video that be awesome!!

7. kthunter33

kthunter33 Junior Member

Wideout based on your job specs

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the wideout.

I've been running blizzards for about ten years, now wideouts!

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I build fix and evaluate plows. I have had lots of hours on both and find they both have advantages. The v plow is more robust compared to the delicate wings on the w/o. The v is much better for cutting through big drifts on long acerage driveways too because of the cutting effect of the v. But for parking lots I love the w/o for two reasons. First u can expand those wings between parked cars to backdrag open stalls with one swipe because u can make it fit perfectly. And second because u get 10 ft of straight blade to clear those big open spaces fast.
    The first time I plowed a busy lot I worked for a guy wit a v plus and a bobcat. After they saw me clean out the open stalls the let me do them all. But when they saw how much snow I could push from piles to the curb they just left me to do it all and moved on to their many smaller lots where the wideout on the F550 just can't maneuver effectively.
    As for v plus with wings. I know they move a lot of snow but u have to take them off and put them back on by hand. And they get destroyed regularly when u hit curbs. Also consider the price of cutting edges. The rubber edges for the v wings r $150 per side plus $250 for the main metal set. The wide out rubber is the same but only about $150 for the single metal edge for main plow.
    Last consideration is flexibility. When I want to hit a hard pile I press. Button and my w/o wings retract in seconds. Good for the road too as in some places your plow can't b wider than eight feet.
    I would go with wide out for sure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

Thanks guys for all your input. I pulled the trigger last week and ordered the wideout but because of the Christmas and New Years holidays I can't have it installed until January 6th. I will post some pics once it is installed. :nod:

11. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Wideout! I have one on my back up truck and I've found myself using that one more than my regular truck fitted with a mvp