1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which way do i go???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Lil'PlowinMan93, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Lil'PlowinMan93

Lil'PlowinMan93 Senior Member

I want a boss standard duty 7'6" steel straight blade. Do i go 1500 with timbrens all the way around, or 2500? Help! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Timbren's don't increase load capacity. Get the 2500. Diesel preferably.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Then he might as well go 8 or 8.5ft on it.

4. Lil'PlowinMan93

Mark... you have a 1500 how does it work for ya?

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

your a landscaper. your going to work the truck on a daily basis. get the 2500.
    two cents.

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

word. I've got a 2500 hundred and I'm happy with it.

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

go the 3/4 ton or bigger route like stated above, and if you do that you might as well go with at least an 8' blade like mark suggested. the truck will be better for you all year around for landscape purposes and such.

8. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I've never used Timbrens, even on my 1500 when I had it running an 8'2 V.

That said, I would agree with the others here, get the 2500. It's not just the springs that are stronger, but everything. Well worth it for a plow rig.

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

True, the springs are stronger, but if you get, say a 2000 Chevy 2500, like mine, there are no springs in front like on the HD's. There are just shocks and the T-Bars so you're gonna have to beef things up a little.

10. Lil'PlowinMan93

Alright here's another idea. I can't find any 2500's around me so... My dad works for the city. They are going to be having a gmc/chevy 3500 regular cab 4x4 going up for sale. The mechanic that i know bought one a couple of years back for 2500 bucks with a fisher plow. This way i know what has been done to the truck an i'll know what to expect because he works on them. How about this?

11. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I'd say go for it. 3500 is even better than a 2500. :D

12. Lil'PlowinMan93

I know it will have high miles but for that price an knowing what has been done to it i should be fine. Except for that city yellow paint haha. I'll start the body work right when i get it. Paint it pewter maybe. Idk though. I'll ask my dad. He used to plow with a 93 blazer back in the day. So my guess is he's going to say 1500 with timbrens. Unless i get a good deal on that 3500.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  13. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

sounds like a good deal to me most citys take good care of there equipment

14. Lil'PlowinMan93

Yeah some of the trucks are in good shape. Others are just beat to !@#$