1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which walk behind???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Acutabovesiny, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

It seems as if noone makes a durable walk behind spreader. Its not the frame that gets worn out...its the gear box and gate opening. We have used EarthWay (which have been the worst so far) and many from Buyers. Here is a break down on there cost in my area...

Earthway $100
    Buyers Ice Buster $170 (steel frame)
    Buyers Salt Dogg $200 (steel frame)
    SnowEx $450

First Question: Is the Salt Dogg any better than the Ice Buster?
    Second Question: Should we spend the money and go for the SnowEx?

Buyers Salt Buster.jpg

Buyers Salt Dogg.png

SnowEx SP-75.jpg

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i have the salt dogg. it is hefty enough. the gears seem strong, not enclosed like the snowex but strong. it is definately not the earthway junk. the thing is is you could buy two salt dogs for the price of one snowex.

thats buyers looks to be the exact same thing as the saltdogg. same company so it makes sense but if so you could buy three instead of the snowex. just something to consider.

3. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

Thats the thing...we have 3 Buyers Ice Busters that we bought last year. and one of them doesnt work...waiting for a replacement part. I still cant find the difference besides price between these and the Salt Dogg.

4. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

Oh....the SnowEx come with a 2 year commercial warranty.

5. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

just go to a tractor supply and buy a grass seed/fert spreader for about 100.00 and replace it every couple of years

6. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

we use our lesco spreaders that we use during the summer all ss and have help up great. still look new after a few years with no problems at all, i think there in the $330 range but after several earthways it was money well spent

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Agree w/ duramax, we use our lesco spreaders year round. I have one that is 8 years old. I only had to replace the stainless frame because I backed into it with a skidsteer.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have buyer's saltdog that has proven the test of time.....trust me, if my boy's cant tear it up it can't be tore up lol.

i have seen them literally running down the walks with it before lmao,

i would not buy the stainless....only because they are so damn high.

i would not buy the snow-ex......only because they are so damn high.

i have seen some of the new buyer's with a enclosed gear box too........but who care's it is just a rude made sprocket with hole's on it's side..... i wouldnt want salt (yes salt will get in there :nod: ) setting around the sprocket.

or you could buy one of those Epoke $1500 walk behind's

pj

9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

PJ ....I swore I saw a post with a spreader you were selling....with fancy lights, duct tape, and an operator even if I recall.....:jester: lmao

10. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Go with the ice buster. I have tried all the ones mentioned above with the exception of the snow ex and have found the ice buster to be the best and most durable. JMO

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I bought an Earthway a couple of years ago, and it works when I need it, but for some reason, they offset the hole that the salt goes through, inside the hopper, so the thing always throws crooked. I have a bid in on a commercial place that will require a walk behind every storm, many times a storm. I think its time to buy something better and keep the Earthway on backup. Any suggestions as to what I should buy??? Each application at this particular place should average spreading 7 bags, but could take 10 if I want to lay it down heavy.

12. terrapro

from MI

just get the ice buster or snowdogg. plus i can put two 80lb bags of rock salt, less trips back to the truck. they are both good quality, i wouldnt bother with the stainless models for the price. just coat them in fluid film every couple weeks of use.

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Why can I not find the Manufac's website for SNOWEX?????? First price I got on a Salt Dogg was $260.

14. terrapro

from MI

you should be able to get it for less than $200 especially the ice buster. call angelos in MI

15. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Is it worth the money if a Salt Dogg is $260, and the next price was $275? Is the Snow Ex built cheaper?

16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.trynexfactory.com/

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

18. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Does the Buyers Ice Buster come standard with the flaps to direct flow to keep it narrow on walks? Its probably the one Im leaning toward, Ive spent 100 the last 3 years on junk Earthways, ready for something that will make a couple seasons.

19. snowangel13

snowangel13 Junior Member
    from chicago

Im very supprised knowbody has mentioned EPOKE spreaders. I got one over ten years ago and it still works great. sure it looks horrible, but it has taken many beatings over the years. it was very expensive but works great. its a little on the heavy side too, has greasable axels too. http://www.epoke.dk/Eng/

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have never really had a problem with the earthways using salt... the lescos worked a little better, but costly

granted your not gonna get the same use from it as others, but it doesnt really matter how much you spend when the salt will still corrode it, stupid accidents (like sven and a bobcat) will happen, heck i even had a lesco fly out of a truck bed a few yrs back.

I bet if you had to buy 10 of them , and figured 20% loss due to accidents, and then only 50% working for longer than 2 yrs... it still might be more cost effective to buy the cheaper one. If you do a little math you could proably figure it out

JMO, but i have never used the buyers, so maybe i should look into it

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008