1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Vehicle would you choose?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stuffdeer, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Okay guys. Next Spring I'll be buying a truck/SUV to plow with, and be somewhat of a "Personal" Vehicle.

I have considored two options

94-00 Jeep Cherokee
    95-99 Chevy Tahoe 2dr

On either of these, I will be putting a snoway plow, for the down Pressure.
    I will be 90% Residential Driveways, and 10% small commercial lots.

Which one would you choose, and why?

Thanks!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Neither of those are trucks....are you getting out of landscaping? If you grow into snow removal your landscaping business will also grow (meaning needing bigger truck)....why not an ext cab truck or something, so people can be in there too....i think that would be a serious upgrade in passenger and driver comfort over your current truck.....JMO

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

well the tahoe would carry probably a 7'6'' with maybe a set of timbrens so u dont look like a fool. the jeep would be small IMO there both gonna have blind spots the tahoe may not require ballast in the back. i am a small pick up kinda guy i like to just turn my head and be lookin right out the back window.

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

if i was gettin one of those id get the tahoe b.c of the bigger plow reason but if i were u id get a ext cab with 6ft bed truck unless that landscapin is done but u cant go wrong or in high school i had a reg cab s10 with a plow i didnt care if anyone wanted to drive in it...jst get a 1/2 ton with a short bed if its the length thing ur worried about...i use to drive ppl around in the back when it was summer spring and fall jst not the winter....but thats what i think

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

And once you get one of those, you'll be complaining that they are falling apart on you just like your s10. Get a real truck. 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Why not get a pickup? If you plan to persue landscaping, I'd consider nothing else. if I were you, I'd get a 1/2 or even better 3/4 ton GMC or Chevy put a 7.5' or 8' Fisher or western plow on and you'll be all set. JMO

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

All bring up good points here as you grow your business the need for a larger truck most likely will be there.

BTW- Great plow choice either way you go. :nod: :D

8. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Something to add. I'm not planning on getting into landscaping, until I'm out of college. And, I'm not even in College yet. I'm only a Junior in High School.

So, I'll only be into Lawn Service.

I dont have the funds to go buy a 2008 3/4 ton. Nor, do I have the need for one.

I really would hate to do driveways with a 3/4 ton. Its hard enough getting an S-10 through the drives.....

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

If you have to ask us what we think you should get. Then you should just buy a bike.

Peterbilt

10. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I already have one.

FZR400. Does over 140 mph.

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The Chevy will work real well for you. Short wheel base makes it great for turning.

12. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Neither Are Serious Plow Vehicles.
    But I Like The Jeep Body Style

13. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I've heard people have pretty decent success from older Dodge Durangos with the old 5.9 V8... Might be a cheap and easy SUV that has the ratings to carry a nice 26 7'6 or even bigger :)

14. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

I didn't mean a 2008... You can get a nice reg cab long bed 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton for around 20k. If it were me, i wouldn't dump money into something that won't hold up to your uses. Even lawncare does a number on your truck. All i'm saying is that its not worth, to me, to buy something that isnt made for work, again.

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If your going to do driveways DON'T GET A PU. get the vehicle that has the best turning AND visibility. If your doing driveways you are in tight places. I used to use an F150 with an 8' bed.... with the plow the truck was 1 foot shorter than my 24' moterhome! I now use a Jeep Wrangler. it is so maneuverable I doubled the number of driveways I can do by getting the Jeep. payup I get customers who specifically ask You are the guy with the Jeep?

16. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Do you do any smaller commercials?

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

No you make more /Hr with driveways. I have done airport runways for
    modle airplanes 80' X 200' how big af a parking lot?

18. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Just Wondering.

I'd like to stay in the residential aspect, mainly because, no one does it here.

But If I could pick up a few smaller gas stations, I would too.

So, you'd reccomend an SUV or jeep over a Reg Cab, short bed truck?

19. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

$$$

Here's the thing, youngster. Many of us who own businesses can tell you that there are times when cash can get tight. Not even your fault ... you invest your time and money in a project, then have to chase and wait to get paid for work you did. Happens.

With that in mind, here's a thought. If you're serious about the landscaping, a dump box is awesome. For now, though, you might consider a regular size pickup with a lift gate. Nice for lawnmower, snowblower, the BIKE ... you get the idea. This truck would still be of use to you if you got serious about landscaping.

So, my vote is for a 3/4 ton PU, box or flatbed doesn't matter, though I think the flats let you see better when plowing.

A note for some of the fellas replying... easy on the young fella. My wife says I'm batting .500 ... I was young and dumb once, but I'm not young any more.xysport

20. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Thanks for the reply.

The vote for the 3/4 ton, Why? I have no need for one, for another 4 to 5 years. I already have a trailer to carry my mowers and stuff in. I have a truck already, but its 2wd, and too small to plow.

I think people are confusing me for not having a truck or anything.