1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Vee cutting edge has better longevity?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by yamaguy, Feb 17, 2008.

Which Vee edges?

1. Older style "hoof" edges

2. The new pricey formed edges

1. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I only want to hear from guys that have used both the older style cutting edge with the hoof, and the new formed ones. I plow large parking lots mainly. I like the new style, but do not know if I can justify the extra $300 over the old style when I hear of guys getting only one year out of the new style . I plan on buying the old style plus some kind of curb gaurd or extender. I have never had a problem with the "hoof", so for me that is not a factor.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'll let you know next season how it worked out.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I voted old style edges. My old vee had 2 seasons on it when I sold the truck and plow and there was well over half the edge left. I got a new plow this season with new edges, and I hate them. I have about a inch left on them. Not even thru the season and they should be replaced, but I am gonna wait until next fall. This season is just about over.
  4. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I will let you know this is the first year for the new edges for me
  5. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

We have been using Boss vee's since 2000, the old style with the rubber shoe in the middle lasts longer but I feel I get a better scrape with the new design.
  6. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

well yamaguy knows this but ill write it here too but my new cuttings edged arent lasting as long as i thought. i never used the old style so im not voting but when i replace my edges next year i think im going to weld some peices of carbide to the blade to help extend the wear of the edge. without getting too off topic to this thread, do you think that would greatly increase the life of the edge?
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think also it depends on the conditions of the lot. Some years the lots still had a coat of snow on them so when you plow the cutting edge wasn't grinding on the blacktop causing it to wear faster. This year its been warmer so it's scraping right down each time so the waer is a little faster.
  8. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

that's a good point GV.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Even still, my new edges wore out way to fast this year. Granted I am push nothing but paved lots, and drives, but I did the same thing last year and the year before with my old vee with older edges and they lasted longer than these new ones.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I've gotten twice the use out of the formed edges.

I use to go through 2 sets of edges a year now with the new formed edge I'm getting two seasons of use out of a set.

Plus the built in curb guard is great.

11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I like the new style for more than one reason. They seem to be wearing better on the ends of the wings. It must be the built in curb guard. My edges don't "smily face out as fast" I don't know if that made any sents or not but you know how the leading edge wears faster, these don't seem to do it as badly. I am going to get just as much or more wear out of my new edges also. The thing that I really like is that they seem to be smoother on gravel lots. The leading edge won't cut in as bad. Over all I will spend the extra $$$ for the formed edges the next time.ussmileyflag
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And for guys running the old style edges, or any non curb guard edges on any brand of plow for that matter, if you bevel the outer corners on the edges it will also make a noticeable difference in smoothness, on frozen gravel especially.