1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which V-plow ?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dogplow Dodge, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Hey folks,

This will be the last year I run a straight blade, as I can't help but love the way those v-blades work through the snow. Such a much more versatile tool than my 8.6 straight job I push around. I've watched videos and it's amazing what these plows can accomplish.

So, the question is..... if you could buy a new v-blade, which one would it be, and state reasons as to why ?

I realize that there are a lot of brand loyal guys here, myself not excluded. I like western plows, as they're pretty much all I've ever used or owned. Without being biased just because it's "red" or "yellow" or blue, how about giving up reasons as to why the plow you pick is the best.

What I look for in a "tool" first and foremost is reliability and ease of use. Cost then comes into play, and I buy what I can afford. Depending on how the winter pans out, I might be able to recoup some of my losses from last season, and spring for a new v-blade.

Please site specific reasons for your choices, as I'm sure others are interested in the nuts and bolts as to why your plow is best. It would be great if you could provide links to articles or other technical information to back up your claims. This way, you might be able to sway those on the fence to your side

Thanks for helping me choose. Thumbs Up

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

hey dogplow. i dont use a v-plow but have done my research. heres a link to westerns vplow theres a video that compairs western to boss v plows. it shows the western bein very impressive. got a landscaper who runs them 24/7 he wont buy anythin else. hope this helps.
    http://www.westernplows.com/wp/showroom/mvpplus

3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Wideout! I went from a straight to a wetern v plow. I have another truck with a western wideout. Well, I just upgraded from my vplow to a wideout on my personal truck. The westen V is nice, but no where near a wideout

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

What Impressed me ....was the same video that you have posted here, except it's a fisher plow. Same dude..... Go figure

http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/vplowfacts.php

EDIT:

After watching both videos, it appears the the fisher and western are the same, except that the fisher comes in Stainless...

Can you use a wideout on small driveways ? Seems it would be tough spacially

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. SullivanSeptic

Sure u can. It goes from an 8ft straight to 10ft. Then sides scoop in. Basically it holds more snow then a v blade. It just doesn't go into V mode. But i never used mine in v mode. Always windrowing and scoop. My other truck has a wideout and it really cut down time in lots. But we do all commercial lots. I don't think you will see a benefit on residential.

6. dodgegmc1213

Yes there the same fisher owns western I think that's what I heard. I figured you bein a western guy you'll like the western lol. My uncle has the fisher xtreme v the only thing I don't like is it has raise stops so u don't hit the motor while the plow is up. So it don't go to high and he hits the corners of the plow in vee position when hittin a dip goin down the road

7. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

There are two size stops made by Fisher , I cut mine down to get full lift height without hitting the plow motor . When driving between jobs I just go to full height and theres no plow bounce over bumps.

8. dodgegmc1213

Really I looked at my uncles and I believe you can unbolt them but motor was like right there. Ima have to see it closer again

9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

find a unimount mvp since youalready have a unimount mount all youd have to do is get 3 plug wiring i think. limited options for our old trucks =[

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll recommend a Snowdogg. I've only owned Fishers - 7'6" MM1, 8' MM1 (2), 8' Xblade SS, and 9'6" EZV so making the switch to Snowdogg was a big "chance" that I feel I took and hoenstly was nervous when I forked over $4300 cash and carry last year. Living in Maine made it even more difficult since its all you see up here because of the factory. I also run a 7'6" Boss Superduty straight blade at work that has been 100% reliable.

Why I chose the "Dogg":
    - Moldboard design is nearly identical to the Western
    - Center Pin is much better design than current Western/Fisher V plows
    - Adjustable Trip Edge (wanted trip edge)
    - Stainless Steel ( loved it on my Xblade)
    - Double Acting Cylinders
    - Very Well made
    - large lift cylinder (bigger than Fisher/Westerns)
    - I like the simple mounting system just like Fisher/Westerns
    - Snow deflector included
    - Wings have return stops, reduce's impact on angle cylinders when in V mode
    - Simple wiring setup
    - Awesome customer support (haven't needed it yet)
    - Fast hydraulics
    - Snowdogg Offers Stainless Wing's (extensions) to make it over 11' wide, better design than Fisher/Westerns IMO as they have a better angle to them extending the plow rather than just making it more of a scoop like the Fisher/Western.

I saved a lot of money going this route and the plow was flawless last season. Not 1 problem and after sitting all summer I hooked it up last weekend and its still working fine. I highly recommend giving them a look.

11. SullivanSeptic

DD owns western, Fisher and blizzard. But they all are a bit different. I just use western and keep all my trucks the same so i can change out if needed

12. dodgegmc1213

Yea pretty much the wire harness and the controls are all the same. We use all fisher but western great also I just wish they made a coversion kit you can hook up to either fisher western or blizzard using one truck that'll be cool

13. SullivanSeptic

I agree. But then we wouldn't buy as much parts from them. Its all about $$$ for them

14. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

ok here it goes... fisher and western v plows are very close since they use the same harness lights controller and pump. the difference is that the fisher is stronger and uses larger pistons. it also is mor adjustable to maximise your raised height. (makes stacking snow way nicer) the fisher is also faster than the western... I have has my fisher for 5 years and converting my boss buddies to fisher one by one. if you do serious unbias homework you will see that fishers are way better... my 8.6 xtreme v with wings pushes more snow than a xls plus fits in smaller driveways. do what you will i was a western guy for years and thought bout a boss but went with fisher for a reason...

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If they use the same pump, how is one faster than the other?

Also - are you 100% sure they use larger pistons?

16. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Going with either of the "big 3" I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're all great plows but you're the one that's gonna run it for 24+ hrs not us so get what you prefer and what dealer is gonna be there for you when you break down. I went boss b/c it's what I prefer and got a good deal on but would run western if all the trucks weren't already boss.

17. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

All I will say is this...go check the Alaska plowing threads with pics....what are the guys that get more snow than most of us using? Boss.....nuff said

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I would have to look at Boss, Fisher, and Snow Dogg before I made a decision. As of this moment I would most likely get a 8.5' Fisher Xtreme V because I know a few people that own them and they have had good luck with them.

19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Some guys will push for service availability, and I can see that. As they say, most companies put out products that work pretty well, but service is where it matters most. More simply for me, it's mostly based on what I've known & had all these years. I grew up around all Fisher plows, so the first one I would naturally have was a Fisher, and subsequently all others have been Fisher. When going to a V, the Xtreme V was the only choice. Short-sighted? Possibly, but it's not like Fisher hasn't been a super solid product for the 30 years I've cared about it.

20. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I have owned Meyer Western Boss and now I just own three boss plows and love them