1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which V Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ICE CREAM MAN, Jan 24, 2011.

ICE CREAM MAN Junior Member
    from MA

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted here. I am buying a new F350 and I am trying to decide what type of V Plow to go with. I have always had Fisher plows including an early ez-vee. I am considering a Boss Vxt but I don't know how it will push the wet snow we get in New England. I also have read that you cannot stack snow high with the Boss because it trips. Is that True?
  2. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

I suggest an Arctic.
    This is a 9 foot V-poly on a 2010 F-550.
    All galvanized steel, quick link II mounting system.
    An awesome set up.
    If you want to see more pictures, take a look at my install thread.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yes the boss plows work awesome in wet snow. 2 the plow stacks snow very high and does not trip whens stacking. Dealer support should be a desiding factor. I could go on all day long about boss, but for me dealer support is a big thing to consider. In my area boss is all that you see. There is only a handful of western/fisher, meyer. Boss is the name around here. If you go to bossplows.com you will see on boss's website that the switch is on and they are moving into the new england area.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Are you happy with Fishers? I would stay with what your familiar with. As for the Boss trying to trip when stacking, that sounds like the Fisher dealer talking:D
  5. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

I don't get much wet snow, but the Boss is a great plow. Mine still looks very good for being 3 years old and haven't had any major problems to date. I recommend Boss products over and over...
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't own a V plow. But if I was going to buy one it would be a Fisher Xtreme V. I like The Boss V plows better. But I need a trip edge.
  7. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Great discussion guys. Here is what I did and what I recommend. I went to each plows website and looked at the specs and watched the videos. Then I found the closest dealer for each brand and called and compared prices. Then I just did a pro vs con list and came out to what I wanted and needed. Boss are good plows but others are just as good as well. I am a firm believer that it is what you like. I ended up going with a hiniker v. The dealer I got mine from plows also and runs boss but he said he installed a hiniker last year and the guys loved it. I can tell a big difference between the two as I have a boss v, boss v xt, and now this hiniker. The trip edge is so much nicer when it does trip it doesn't act like it is going to rip the front end off the truck. Sorry for the long post!
  8. unclebuck

unclebuck Junior Member

1 all vee plows should have a trip edge . vee plows with a trip blade dont work right when in a vee forward or back . and are not safe
    2. vee plows should have double acting cylinders on the angle [ power both ways ] and have cross over relief valves to protect them if you hit something .
    3. have easy to get to valves { they have a lot of valves= more valves to break } and a protected power unit , under cover or in a heated spot
    in the right hands a vee plow is great to have on site . it can make clean up a joy .
    but if you get one better get the best one you can find they have a lot of things to go wrong.
  9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Boss poly v-xt

easy choice.
  10. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

go with the fisher vee
  11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I second the fisher v
  12. unclebuck

unclebuck Junior Member

best build vee plow ? check out the arctic / i couldnt believe how well it was built . i loved the galvanized steel {no rust} easy to work on . set it next to the fisher which is a good plow and compare . the arctic comes out on top. i think it will out last any painted or powder coated one . i always liked the fishers plows , ive used them on tractors and put them on airport tugs . but if i was buying new i would buy the arctic / if your buying used buy the the one that you get the best deal on , they all work ,just some will last longer with less trouble.
  13. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

1. Vee plow with trip blade do work right, no matter if v is forward or back, will trip. are safe.

2. vee plow with springs is just as good, wear less on your electrical system, and do fold back if you get into something heavy.
  14. unclebuck

unclebuck Junior Member

vee plows with trip blades when in full vee forward . when tripped have to far to travel and can dig in at the front or sides if vee forward . can be very violent and damaging .
    the fold back is from the relief on the power unit . { called cushin valve or cross over relief }
    the better plows have trip edges and double acting cylinders .
    trip edges are better but cost more to make .
  15. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

After researching and talking to people that own all of them.
    I went with a Western 8.5 MVP v plow. For my new 2011 GMC 2500
    Price- dealer support- Controllers- mounting system.
    Nice plow
  16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

vee plows with full vee forward can be violent depending on lvl of stupidity, won't dig in, might damaging plow if operating like idiot.

the better plows also have non-greasable center hinge pin, not able to hook up any blade regardless of type, single button/dual function control and problem. trip edges are no better and cost no more to make. all what you want.
  17. unclebuck

unclebuck Junior Member

why do you want a non greaseable center pin ? i like ones made easy to lube {grease fittings}OR WITH SOME TYPE OF SELF LUBING pin .

even the best plow person can hit something wrong . every one i know pows when you cannt see good , tired , and long hours tring to get the job done .
    thats why i like the safety of the trip edge . and on a vee the trip of a board can really be a shock .

ICE CREAM MAN Junior Member
    from MA

Guys thanks for the replys. It was here that I read about the xvt tripping when in the scoop possition stacking snow. It seems to be there downfall. The fisher and westerns have issues with there center pins etc, etc. i know it is a compromise because we all want to have the best. What sells me on the xvt is the curl of the blade and how far it can throw snow. I also like the stainless of the xtreme v. Meyers also has a pretty interesting v-plow but I do not know about them. The only other thing I can say about Boss is every part is made in the U.S.A.!!! To me nowadays it says alot. I'll keep you posted, I have a week left to decide.

Thanks again,
  19. CptnDruk

CptnDruk Junior Member

Have you looked at Blizzard? Although they are not a true V-Plow the models with wings (I have the 810) do have the ability to scoop with both wings forward and work very nicely, esepecially for clean-up. I've plowed side by side with various v-plows and move just as much snow as they do.

Just something to consider.
  20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Get the Boss.