1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which UTV to purchase for plowing

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by YPLLLC, Aug 12, 2015.

1. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Alright everyone, I am in need to purchase 2 UTV's with plows, enclosure, and preferably a small heater for this season. I am looking to spend about $12-15k per unit. Never had a UTV before and need suggestions. I have been looking at Polaris Rangers but not sure what size and such.

Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.

We have over 1.5Million square feet of sidewalks and paths to clear with a 0 tolerance contract. used 100 shovelers last year and would like to cut some hours.

2. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

I've got several friends who have newer Ranger 900's, one has factory heat and the other installed a Firestorm heater that has worked well for him.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/371387459372?lpid=82&chn=ps
    Neither one has a plow on theirs yet, I have a 6' plow on my '07 650 Arctic cat.

How wide are the sidewalks? The Ranger has two widths 58" & 60", I think the 58" is limited to the 570 engine.

If your going to buy new check with this dealer, it may be worth the drive. http://www.abernathycycles.com/

3. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Polaris Brutus. It comes with a front lift arm and hydro attachments so you can hook up a mower in the summer. Comes with a cab as well. I think they are around 20k though but they are made for stuff like plowing and don't have to worry about winch crap

4. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Will you be using it for anything else?

Mounting a spreader?

Plow or broom?

If you want the "best" UTV for work, the Kubota RTV is it.

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

35 acres of sidewalks? Holy hell.

Our route this coming season will be including the addition of an RTV X1100. But they're a good chunk more than your budget. Built like a tank. Nothing else on the market compares for a strictly work machine.

7. woodburner

woodburner Junior Member

i have a polaris ranger 900 full cab with factory heat i just fabbed up a snoway st plow with wireless controls and cut the blade down to 72" i think it will be a plowing animal your budget is tight for a new machine with all those add ons for a ranger your looking at close to 15 with a cab and heat and i would certainly recommend a commercial plow not those flimsy winch operated ones

8. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Thanks everyone. Been talking with one of the power sports dealers here and they are recommending Kawasaki mules instead of Polaris Rangers. Anyone know about the mules. Seems to be more of a workhorse and less of a play toy.

And mark, in the summer we will use for outdoor special events janitorial and possibly our trimming crews on a few levee projects we have. We will also use a plow not a broom.

Also I am all for the commercial plows not the cheap ones made by the manufacturer of the machine. Besides modifying a snoway, which is my plow of choice on trucks, who else makes a utv plow that is decent but not top of the line like a western setup?

9. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Mike and brl1. Thanks for the info. I have contacted that dealer to quote some new 2013 Brutus HD.

10. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Johndeere I would love to get the Kunitz ones but way outta my budget

11. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Haven't seen the new Mule Pro FXT but they look like a good utility.

12. woodburner

woodburner Junior Member

Snoway makes them for the ranger and boss does to mules are ok I have had a few 3010 diesels everything is mechanical which is nice but in my opinion they are alittle outdated all I can do is recommend a ranger because I have one I was going to get a diesel ranger but I ended up with a gas and am very happy with it for a pure work machine a mule would be fine and they are by far cheaper then the rest

13. woodburner

woodburner Junior Member

Buy no means are the new rangers a playtoy

14. Mark Oomkes

The RTV is hands down the best work only UTV on the market. No belts to slip in the snow. No clutches to get messed up by salt spray.

Not sure how you can say it's out of your budget when you had 100 shovelers and 1 or 2 of these is going to replace 10 or 20 or maybe more?

15. woodburner

woodburner Junior Member

I would have to agree hydro is better polaris makes a hst to but hydro is pretty expensive

16. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

I have about 20-25k to spend total on them. Yes it's going to cut out labor but we are also paid by labor hour not a set amount obviously with a machine we are charging a premium about 3.5 labor hours per machine hour. The goal is to break even this year with these machines billable hours and make the money over the rest of the contract, 3 years. Does that make sense mark? I totally agree with you the kibitz is the best machine for the job. Just want to make money after one year instead of two with them.

17. woodburner

woodburner Junior Member

You can buy mules for 8500-9k that's going to be your best bet cheap cab and decent plow and your under or around budget

18. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Anyone recommend a good dealer in the Midwest who is known to make deals on multiple units. Obviously pricing at multiple locations for best deal. Also think I should buy units and plows seperately or from same place to save some money

19. Mark Oomkes

Yes, I understand your point, but it also reminds me why I NEVER bid anything hourly. I have no ability to every make more than my hourly rate. I will NEVER be rewarded for being efficient.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I bought an RTV a couple weeks ago. From everything I've heard they're the best for work and basically indestructible. I've gone the cheaper route with sidewalk tractors before and when they break down it's brutal to do that work by hand. The only problem with UTV's is they are to wide for some sidewalks. A small tractor will get you under 60" and will cut down hand work even more. Hourly work isn't for me just like Mark.