1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which used plow for yj jeep?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sefuller, Aug 29, 2002.

1. sefuller

sefuller Junior Member

I recently acquired a 93 yj jeep, 6 cyl, 5sp. with the intent of using it to plow a few driveways and the small parking lot (about 20 spaces) where I work. Years ago I plowed similar areas with a CJ7 with a 6' Western plow. I now have an opportunity to buy either a Meyer or Western 6' plow. Both of them are older style - probably 10-15 years. The Western came off a Jeep, the Meyer off an S-10, so it would require some modifications to the undercarraige. The Western is $750, the Meyer $300, the Western has had the hydraulic unit rebuilt, but the blade is pretty beat and rusty, the Meyer has a like new blade, but needs some mods to fit. My old Jeep really benefited from helper springs in front with the weight of the plow, and the Meyer arrangement seems attractive in the respect that it is lighter and more of it detaches from the vehicle. After not being exposed to plowing for several years, I was shocked at the cost of new equipment, and have no interest in paying $ 3,000.00 to put a plow on for the limited use it will get (especially if this winter is like last one!). Any advice or caveats are appreciated - by the way, the local dealer quoted me $ 1,700 for a new undercarraige for the Meyer - to fit the Jeep.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, sefuller. Given that: 1) You're not going to buy new, 2) The Meyer will cost $1700 over cost of installation and 3) These are your only choices - How about sandblasting or grinding the Western, paint and coat liberally with wax? With limited use, this should get you by.

3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

My first plow was a Meyer that had been on a Jeep. I built the hardware to mount it to my 79 Chevy. If you are able to do the work yourself that might be the way to go, but in retrospect if I'd had to bill someone for my time I'd have charged more than the $450 difference that you're looking at. I'd go with the Western and take Mick's advice.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

What if you were to buy both, move the hitch points on the Meyers to fit the western frame and combine the two? You could probably sell the remaining Meyers pump for the $300 you invested, then sell the Western blade for what you might spend for the minor welding that would be required. The Western pump should run the Meyers blade if you put the right fittings on. Just a thought...

5. sefuller

sefuller Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I can probably have the existing Meyer undercarraige modified and still have less into the Meyer than the price of the Western. It seems to me the Meyer is better suited to the Jeep, due to the fact most of it comes off when not plowing, where the Western leaves a lot on the front of the Jeep, and the Western sticks out farther with more weight farther from the front, but the advice so far seems to favor the Western - any reasons?

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

In this case I think the Western is recommended because it has the correct sub frame. Western pumps seem to be a bit more reliable too. Most Jeeps I've seen have Meyers plows though.

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If you do choose the Western, make sure it is the newer design undercarraige mount. The older Western Jeep frame mounted to the front axle! Let's see, one end mounted to the axle, the other to the bumper, the axle articulates, and moves.... the result? Loss of steering when plowing a load. A twisted undercarraige.. (I still have my old twisted one on the side of my parents' shed). I honestly thought the frame was homemade, and picked up a new one to replace the twisted one on my Jeep CJ. Turned out the new one was identical. I have ben told that Western changed the design of the mounts.

Personally, I'd buy the Meyer, and find a used mount on ebay or somewhere. If push came to shove, make a mount. You can't get much more simple than a Jeep with a Meyer. Even having a welder make an upper frame to mount the pump and lift arm, as well as an undercarraige would be cheaper than $1700 IMO.

~Chuck