1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which type of control do you prefer

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Geary44, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

i am thinking about getting a western midweight plow for my 2008 dodge ram 1500 quad cab with the hemi engine and i was just wondering what of controls you prefer to plow with. i will be doing a few long driveways and some small parking lots.and if you have the permanent mount where do u have it mounted?? please and thank you

2. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

oops typo what TYPE of control do you prefere

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer the joystick. It al depends where you have it mounted. Mine is on my armrest so I don't have to reach for it. Many will say handheld but I think they have had their joystick mounted on the dash which is where mine was in 1994. I had a handheld for 1 snow fall. I found myself always looking at it and putting it down and then I had to find it again.

It's all a matter of comfort. They all work the same.

4. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

thats what i thought. . .that i would set it down and have to look for it again. i agree with the joystick but i have never seen one mounted on an arm rest. do you think you could post some pics. . . please and thanks

5. 76CHEVY

76CHEVY Member

I used a hand held for the first time last year it was ok, But i do like the joystick i had mine mounted right to the floor using an old floor mount from a cable control western. It was great I never had to move my are from the arm rest, now I have a different truck this year and I have to figure out how to mount it for my comfort I already replaced the beanch seat with buckets so if i want i can remount it they way it was in my old truck if i want.

6. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

it is all about the comfort. I would just sit in your truck put your arms down and look to your hands. If you think you can mount a joystick there, get the joystick. I would normally just put the handheld in my lap and grab it when I needed it. They both use circuits and they both break and can be repaired just as easy. So, again its all about the comfort.

If you had a cup holder in a good a spot you could use that. All you need is platic cup (a nice structural cup) cut it at the right length. Then glue a flat piece to the cup. then velcro the joystick to the flat piece of the new rigged cup/stand. I know it simple and stupid, but it would be a good test.

7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have both the hand held ad the joystick. I prefer the joystick with the use of the flexible snake to put the controller right where I want it to be with my arm hanging over the center console.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

9. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

that is the money shot. there are some great pics in that thread

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If you do alot of plowing it is better to have the joystick. You know where it is and don't have to look or feel for it JMO. The handheld even in the lap is not the greatest IMO.