1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CNYScapes, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

OK I need some help here. I am interested in purchasing a bigger truck but I was at my chevy dealer today and he said the biggest truck they sell in 4wd is a 3500 with 12,000GVWR. He says he can get me a 4500 with a 16,000GVWR but only in 2wd. This is my problem, I want the bigger truck for my summer work, but I dont think even with more weight in the back it will be as good for plowing as the smaller truck with 4wd. Most of my lots are 1-2 acre parking lots. What do you guys think? Can that bigger truck with weight in the back be as good as the smaller 4wd when pushing snow?:dizzy:

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I plow some lots that are pretty large and most of the time I am in 2 wheel drive. I keep my snow blower hand spreader and 2-300 lbs of deicer in the back. That stuff helps.
    The 4500-550 will be getting 4X4 very soon, can't remember the date. Dealer would't tell you as they are trying to make the sale.
    If you like Fords get a 450 4X4.

3. nben

nben Senior Member

We plow with two HD3500s, both with 10' vee boxes in them. One has a 9.5' vee, the other a 9' straight blade and a 8.5' side wing. A little common sense goes a long way, but we have very few problems with them. Both of these trucks are used in lots and roadways, not very good in the driveways. I wouldn't hesitate at all, as long as it is a diesel. the gas jobs seem to put the power to the wheels too fast and cause wheel spin, while the diesels seem to put the power on smooth and controllable. We also have been looking at a C4500 or 5500 to replace our older HD3500. I have seen a few on this site, I'm sure that others will chime in with firsthand experience with that chassis. Good luck!

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

This is where i'm heading, http://www.mitfuso.com after looking at the prices of new 2500/3500 trucks, they are 14000 gvw, same wheelbase as a 2500, 4x4, power windows heated mirrors, and have power take-off capabilities, and auto as an option (requires longer wheelbase). Auto here was just a little less then a Dodge 2500 cummings.

Bill

6. Santo

Santo Banned

A 4500 with ballast is pretty much unstoppable especially with a set of chains. Depending on the driver & equipment you have , I believe you can run across a lot (strait) with blade down and the hammer down until your ready to stack. (no wings) If you had wings on you'd probably be in an IGLOO. Of course it depends on the type of snow.

7. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

I had the same problem last year.

I had a 2002 Isuzu NQR with an 18,000 GVW (Same as GMC W5500)

I asked around this site for comments from people with these trucks that put plows on them and had very little response. and the one i got was not to good.

For some reason i still went a head and put a plow and salter on it. and was very disappointed after the first storm, but after i changed my rear tire i was happier than a pig in mud. the next storm we had was 11" and that truck didn't miss a beat.
    i install a 9' western and a four yard salter. the best plow truck i had all year. i found a steep hill and plowed up-wards in 11" of snow and it did it with no prob. PM me if you want and info on my set up.

8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I have heard that GM will be having larger trucks (4500, at least) available in 4WD version for next year.

9. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Why dont you look at a F-550 its 4x4 and has a large gvw.

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I think it is because he is looking for a truck that he won't have to Fix Or Repair Daily. :D :drinkup:

11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I agree with Clean Cut. A large truck with weight on will push anything you need it to. If you are salting that would give you the weight needed.

So, the answer to your question is, "No, the bigger truck with weight will not be as good as the smaller 4 wheel drive when pushing snow...it will be better."

12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

On more flat land the bigger trucks will do just fine with the bigger plow and some weight. but on more hilly and steep accounts they will have trouble. the ford L8000's in 2WD have trouble on very steep hills but do just fine on flatter areas. Dont bother with the chevy 4500 or 5500 if they are only 2WD. get yourself a Ford F-450 or a F-550. they come in 4X4 and look better:)

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

CNY............If your near Fulton NY...There is a late
    model Chev 3500 DRW 4x4 with small dump box
    at a F**D dealer there. Let me know if ya want
    info. as I pass by it daily will stop and check !
    It been there for months........
    .............geo

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

This is just my oppinion, so it may not be worth much since I dont use either truck listed above, but my oppinion is worth atleast 2 cents no? :D If it was me, Id want the 4wd truck, hands down. The town where I live uses some big 2wd older Fords with big plows on them and they have trouble coming up my street to plow it in a heavy snow. I live on a cul de sac and its slightly uphill as drive up it and with that blizzard we had, he couldnt get up to the top, I watched with my own eyes. He backed down the street and left. Next thing I know there is a new 4wd diesel Ford F550 out there with a new Fisher plow doing what he couldnt do. I must say though, the F550 was slipping and sliding too and having somewhat of a difficult time. Maybe it was real icy underneath. Mike

15. sonjaab

CNY...Forgot to mention.........If your gonna buy
    a NEW GM I have a GM deal coupon.
    It will enable you to buy a NEW GM truck for 4%
    over GM employee price.
    I have given 14 away to folks to buy new GM vehicles.

They are a "freebie" and were sent to all GM
    employees/retirees to hand out to anyone !

Check it out : http://www.gminthedriveway.com

........geo

16. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Sonjaab, wheres that chevy dump in fulton? Is it at Raynors Ford thats the only one i know of up there?

17. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

sonjaab im looking at gmc's.
    For anyone else interested rebates are 3500 cash back 1000 diesel cash back and 750 military id including all retirees.

18. sonjaab

CNY...........Didn't get my e-mail ?
    Yup.....Thats where its at.....or was.............

Went by there this PM to take the kid to Applebees
    in Clay for his B-day......and I didn't see it !

Its red with a small dump box...........

Was there Sat. tho.......Give them a call..........

Still got that coupon tho. if your gonna go new.
    Did ya check out Reymore Chevy? They got LOTS
    of work rigs! Try www.gmbuypower.com to
    locate a new one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,geo

19. sonjaab

PAT......The coupon is good till Sept. 30 th.
    GM may extend the offer again hopefully.
    They have extended it 3 times since June.

If they do.. I can request more and send ya
    one !

Some of the guys I gave them to have saved
    $2000 over the best deal they could make on
    their own on a new GM. Also with the coupon
    you NO pay adv. fee or DOC fee.
    That saves almost another $1000...........

Adv. fee is like $500. DOC fee in NY is $40 max.
    Other states dealers wack you up to $600......
    I have read about elsewhere.................

20. sonjaab

CNY.....................Yup its GONE. They sold it Sat..............