1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck would you use?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by packerman, Oct 7, 2008.

1. packerman

packerman Junior Member

So I am plowing 30 residentials and 5-6 commercial properties and don't know which truck to use. I have helped plow for a number of years but am trying it on my own this winter and don't know the first thing about what I need to get the plow and accessories onto the truck.

I have a 99 Chevy 1 ton dump bed dually HD

and a 98 Chevy 2500.

What do I use...I am also spreading salt and whats the easiest way to get started with some used plows.

Or should I use both if I can afford it.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Use the 1 ton for sanding with a nice V-Box spreader and plow with the 2500. Check out the classified for good buys on a plow and a sander.

3. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I would think the 2500 would be better for residentials and the other truck for commercials. depending on where in wisconsin you are I can recomend a place to pick up a nice used plow!!

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i would try to utilize just one of the trucks so i dont have to worry about changing trucks half way through, or hiring a driver.
    if the drives are big use the one ton.
    if the commercials are small use the pickup.
    Changing trucks back and forth uneccesarily is a pita.

if you have the money, then ya, do both.
    Nothing wrong with a backup as long as you dont break yourself trying to equip two trucks at once

5. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

you could run both trucks, just get 2 sets of push plates and 2 sets of wiring harnesses, that way you could switch the plow from one truck to the other. it should only run you an extra 500-700 bucks to have this option. on the sander issue its up to you to pick a truck. i recommend the 3500 hd with good tires my self.

6. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Red's idea is a good one, cause if you only have one plow truck what is your back up plan for broken truck during an event?
    The dually is the better truck for sander; stronger, beefier, more stable w/dual rears esp. loaded. I put tailgate sanders on SRW and sanders on DRW.

7. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Most guys argue me on doing this but; I do: 35 residential, 3 private roads and 3 small commercials with a 1 ton GMC dump and a tailgate spreader. I drive this truck. I also have a driver and a 2500 GMC at a larger commercial full time and my dump salts that one also.

I have to add that all my accounts are within 4 miles from my shop.

Yes it is a PITA to salt with a tailgate spreader but with funds being the way they are that's what I have to deal with... and it works!

8. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

use the 2500 then once you get more cash and another driver get the 3500 outfitted. ow ya get a v box you will want it later or get a tailgate but make shore you have a shoveler