1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck would you use?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dano879, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Dano879

Dano879 Junior Member

Ok so i have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 4x4 diesel and a 1996 ford f250 gas 4x4. i dont know which truck i should put a plow on. Are plows really that hard on trucks or is it just stupid people driving plow trucks that makes them not last long. I take good care of my equipment wash it every time i take it out in salt and all the regular maintenance. I am going to put a fisher xls plow on which ever one i chose and a snow ex tailgate spreader. Just let me know what you guys think. I am going to post of pic of the dodge i dont have a pic of the ford.

DSC_0765.jpg

2. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Nice truck. You should be fine with the dodge. And YES it is stupid people.

3. Dano879

Dano879 Junior Member

thanks but if it were you would you put it on the ford or the dodge i know they will both push it but idk if i wanna "tear" up the dodge if thats what plows do and its not just stupid people. I know salt is gonna take a toll on the truck but i wash my truck everyday i take it out and get salt on it and i paint the frame when it needs it

4. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

put it on your older truck. plus the ford would probably hold up better

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

This is gonna turn into dodge vs ford i can see it now! I cant wait!

6. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

I would put it on the Dodge, only because it is so much newer. The last thing you want in the middle of the storm is a break down. I wouldn't CHOOSE to plow in a 14 year old truck. That is my thought.

7. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

You could put it on both, wire and mount both trucks for the same plow and then if you do have a break down just drop the plow and hook it to the other truck.

8. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

that's a GREAT idea...but i'd primarily plow with the ford...beat up the old stuff first

9. rocklizrd

rocklizrd Junior Member
    from US of A

ACA if that 14 YO truck is in good shape and mechanically sound there is nothing wrong with it. If I had my choice I wouldn't CHOOSE to plow in a 45 YO body...lol. Well okay I do have a choice and I stick by it.

Not sure about the Dodge. I heard that the trannys don't hold up as well??? That's hearsay. I had a Ramcharger and loved it but didn't have a plow on it. I would go with the Ford - and BTW I have a Chevy so no Ford/Dodge debate here.

10. Dano879

Dano879 Junior Member

i was thinking about this but how much more expensive would it be for extra wireing and mount bracket? I like this idea best and dont turn this into a ford vs dodge thing guys

11. Dano879

Dano879 Junior Member

i do always like to beat up my old stuff first

12. Dano879

Dano879 Junior Member

yea the ford isnt in bad shape its got some rust but runs good its gonna get some tranny work done on it. The dodge however are known for bad trannys but im gonna rebuild the tranny in it. When im done rebuilding it nothing will stop it that tranny will be like a rock

13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I plow in a 15, 14, and 11 year old trucks. Each one of them is mechanically sound, and look great. I have had an occasional break down in them, but every breakdown has been plow related. The trucks have never let me down. So if it were me I would choose the Ford, and keep the dodge as your good truck. Maybe in a few years if the Ford becomes unreliable then you could go with the Dodge, and get a new truck for your good truck. Keep cycling them through and don't worry about things.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Everything truck side if you have to buy it new might be around $1500. If you know the ford is going to make it through every night then that's the one I would use, if not I would use the Dodge. In this business you need to be up and running every night.

15. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

Depending on the plow you will be using, the price for truckside stuff can be different. I just mounted up a dodge with a western ultramount and all wiring... parts cost me under 900 new and i put it on myself. Pretty simple install on the dodge. as for the ford I am unsure. I will say I have a plow on a truck identical to your dodge, and on another dodge regular cab with a gas motor, I guess you could say somewhat similar to your ford. I feel that the Diesel pushes better merely because of the weight, if the snow is deep. Hell, screw it and put a plow on both of em' Thats what I would do :)

16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

we run almost all mid 90s 3/4 and 1 ton ford f series trucks and you will be fine with the ford. they are very reliable and the 351 will push plenty of snow. the 4 wheel low is very impressive and will suit your needs. i wouldn't put a plow on a nice newer dodge like that because trust me i dont care how often you paint the frame or wash your truck salts finds its way EVERYWHERE and it will rust out your truck regardless.

17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yup- that's what I'm doing- I primarily plow with my older '03 2500HD, but my '06 Duramax is all set up to run the plow should my '03 break down...

18. Dano879

Dano879 Junior Member

thats why i was thinking about putting it on the dodge cause im not sure the ford is gonna be dependable i hate the truck to be honest with you so many problems over the years with it but i am probably just gonna put a fisher xls on it and get the truck side for the dodge and if the ford breaks i go to the dodge

19. Dano879

Dano879 Junior Member

but whatever i do when i get it finished i will post some pics

20. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Whatever you do- the plow needs to go on the most reliable truck. Most of us can't afford the TIME a breakdown takes.