1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which truck would you get?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kc2006, Nov 21, 2011.

1. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I need help deciding what to do for a new truck.

I'm currently torn between new and used. For new I was going to go 2500hd regular cab, just a few options, dealer priced me at 26k after rebates. That was pretty much basic work truck with snow plow prep, trailering package, towing mirrors.

Then I found a 2007 3500 dually LT, 20k miles, spotless, it was from georgia, the guy moved up to ohio last year, bought a plow for it, and never did any plowing and traded it for a diesel. Has a 8' western that was bought last year and again is like brand new. I have them down to 24K but am trying to get them down to 23k and has a 1 year warranty.

In one way, the 07 has power everything and is a 1 ton and has a plow so I'd be saving a good amount of money, but then I think it is 5 model years old already and that kind of scares me. Plus I wonder how well the dually will do for everyday use, I keep envisioning the bedsides getting messed up while using the truck for mowing and everyday use. The new truck is less of a truck and I'll be a good 7500 more over the used one but its new and has a full warranty.

What do you guys think?

2. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Unless you plan on pulling heavy loads consistently (stability wise), and/or are going to put a salter in the box when you do commercial lots, the dually might be overkill. Is the warranty worth the difference in price to you? And what type of plowing are you going to use it for is the burning question???

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

It'll be used for mowing/landscaping in the summer and plowing in the winter. I have a salt dogg v-box that will be going in whatever I decide. I guess I'm mainly looking at the fact that the used truck is a good deal in my eyes. I considered even pulling the bed and putting a stakebody dump on it.

I like saving money, but again the dually wasn't my first pick. If it were a single rear wheel with the same options and as clean as this, I don't think I'd be debating then.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If those are the only two choices go with the new one. He is asking too much for the used one and the 8' won't clear the duals on a turn.

5. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

True, True. Unless you add wings.

I'd go with the new one as well.

6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Yea the blade doesn't cover the wheels, it would need wings.

I was thinking the used truck was priced good but looks like I was wrong by all the responses so far.

7. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

It would be on par if it were a diesel, but sounds like it is a gasser.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would go new this way you dont have some else's repair problems I just pickedup a new chevy 5 years or 100,000 on the power train hey thats good a deal

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Neither, Buy a new 3500hd its only a few hundred more.

10. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Is the new one you are considering an '11 or '12?

11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

The interest rates on new may make the new rigs payments lower then the used, if u planed on financing.

12. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

They are both 6.0 gassers. And if I go new I was going to do a left over 11.

I looked and theres no left over 1 ton's anywhere near here.

You guys talked me out of the used. I am going to be financing and already have it set up through my bank, interest rate was better than the dealer was able to get even. At this point, I'm going to hold off until next month or January to try and get a leftover even cheaper.

13. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Go 1 ton, it holds 2.5 tons (4500lbs) of wet grass in the back. (and doesn't sink like a 2500 (3500lbs, or a F250 (2500lbs) Also go new because of frame. Also go 1 ton because SRW has 5600 lb FGAWR.

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

yes, exactly on all points.

15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I was at the chevy dealer and they were doing 72 months no interest on there loans. No bank can beat that rate.

16. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

I know they have the 0% but I would save about 2200 by going no interest or take the 4500 (3500 from gm and got an extra 1k coupon) rebate and go with my banks rate.