1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Truck would you choose if all the prices were close?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd like to get a different truck before next winter and make my current truck either a backup truck or let my dad or someone run it as a 2nd truck.

The new truck would be my Daily Driver, along with plowing, towing, yadda yadda yadda.

Here's the part that I'm not sure about.
    I've been kinda looking at trucks in the $27-30k range.

What I've found is that I can get the trucks below for about the same price.

-05-07 GM Duramax with 40-70k on it. Nicely featured but not fully loaded. Probably CC/SB or EC/LB.
    -07.5-08 Dodge 6.7 Cummins, 40-70k on it. Nicely featured but not loaded. CC/SB, MC/SB, or CC/LB for body configuration.
    -07 (nnbs)-Current GM 6.0 Gas Hd. under 40k miles. All the way from nearly fully loaded to more basic interior. Any body configuration I want. With Reg Cab trucks being cheaper. But I would prefer more interior room.

Or I could get an older gas GM hd from 03-06 for considerable savings. The 6.0 trucks aren't to bad, the 8.1 trucks are more money but still much cheaper then diesel.

I'm not a big fan of dodge, buying a gas dodge is not gunna happen. I've grown up a Chevy fan, most everyone in my family has at least 1 GM Vehicle.

I average 12-20k a year ( I know, big variation), probably will put a 8.6ft+ V plow or Power Plow on it. Maybe some sort of a V box or Ebling Style rear blade depending if I keep subbing for another person or go off on my own. And I tow everything from my 400lb atv on a 600lb trailer to things that probably are to heavy to be pulled with a pickup at times. The most it would see for long distances is probably 13-14k and that would be rare.

I've wanted a diesel for as long as I can remember, but its kinda hard to justify a diesel when you can buy a nearly new truck for the same price as a 4yr old diesel with 4x the miles on it. Along with increased maintenance costs and the potential for costly repairs if proper maintenance isn't done or it is abused.
    The only thing I don't like about Gas is when I decide to check my mpg and see single digits while towing alot, plowing, or lots of idle time. But even low to mid teens on the hwy driving 65 isn't fun. (23mpg hwy in my friends 6.7 Cummins is nice)

So those that own the 3 types of trucks above or those who are familiar with them, what would you choose or suggest to me?

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I would get the Gm with the dmax and ally combo.. And if it came down to it, personally i would buy a gasser Gm before a Dodge anything.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never really been a Dodge fan. I'm a Cummins fan though. However my boss and a friend of mine both have the new 6.7 Cummins Dodges and they seem to be quite nice trucks. A huge difference from the 95 12v 1ton at the farm. I still feel GM has the better truck but Dodge is catching up.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i heard a rummor that toyota is going to be offering a 3/4ton with a cummins diesel, i bet that is going to be a sweet truck, otherwise duramax all the way

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Buy whatever suits your fancy Mark. Don't listen to what a bunch of guys on the internet tell you to buy. Do your research (I know you have been), and make an educated decision based on only the conditions and criteria that you can really know.

I like my Dodge, others don't. Some people like GM's and others Ford's. Something else very important to factor in is the associated maintenance costs on top of the monthly payment. I've heard from multiple people that have done the math, you'd need to make over $80k/year to own and pay to maintain a newer Diesel pick-up. While I don't think that's really true, I will say that they are MUCH more expensive to maintain than a light duty or even Gasoline pick-up.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them and they all stink.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not going to believe that one until I see it. I'd believe a 3/4ton Toyota with a Hino diesel or whatever their "home" brand is.

The only things I've noticed about my friends dodge that I don't like are the seats are quite uncomfortable and hard. It has random squeeks and rattles that I don't think a new truck should have. And that my neck always hurts after I get out when he feels the need to show me what a Smarty on 170hp will make the truck do with a boosted launch.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I like the Cummins to but i can't stand the interior of the Dodges. I love the exterior look and the engine but i can't get over the cheap plastic look, plus the Chevy will give you a better ride and a really nice interior, but it all depends what your primary purpose is going to be with it.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Over working it probably like I'm good at with my 1/2ton. :D

9. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

I'd say go for the Chevy with the 6.0 gasser. Unless you're towing all the time, diesel's really aren't worth it. If there's a 10k# trailer behind the truck 4-5 days a week the diesel will be worth it's weight in gold (and they're heavy as hell). But gassers tend to be much friendlier daily drivers. Don't expect to see anything better then 13 MPG out of that 6.0, but it'll surprise you when you need to move a big trailer. Mine has yet to disappoint me or leave me stranded.

10. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

For my daily driver/work truck I've gone from a 99' Chevy to an 03' Dodge to an 08' Ford. Every time I shopped for a new truck I drove all three brands in a variety of fit and finishes. If I were looking for a new truck now I'd drive all three brands until I fell in love with a truck.

11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go for a 6.0 gas in an 03-07 body style they are all over the place. If you want a niceley equipped one go for a GMC.

12. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

fms hit on spot on. Drive all three. I've been a GM guy all my life and I hate to say it, but the Fords and Dodges are catching up. I've had 2 6.0 gassers and they were flawless as well as my LBZ Dmax. But if I needed a new truck today, I would drive all three and really give thought about the new diesels with all the emissions crap. Maintenance aside, it's getting harder and harder to justify an 8-9k diesel option when the mileage is crap and the per gallon prices are higher.

13. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Sounds like no one's a Ford fan here, but I picked up my 02 Powerstroke Crew, Fully loaded, with 60k on it, in the low 20k range. Had to go to Texas to get it, but the undercarriage looked brand new. I undercoated it hung the Plow on it and went to work. I drive it daily too and love it.

14. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I have 3 Duramax diesels, 2 in pickups and one in a 1 ton rack. My daily drive is an '08 GMC 3500HD single rear wheel duramax, and I am getting 15 MPG consistently. The ride is a little rough, but the truck is incredible when you need the torque or performance of the diesel. They are fast, powerful, and reliable.

15. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I love my Duramax, its an all around awesome truck, it rides awesome, has more than enough power to do almost anything, and is a nice truck, I am a Cummins lover too but not so much a Dodge guy. You could into an 06-07 LBZ Duramax for mid 20's easily, I think you will love it. Along with the mileage you will get.

16. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I'd go for the D-Max. I have driven an 05 2500HD with the 6.0 and I have driven an 05 3500HD with the D-Max, and hands down the Diesel wins

17. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I have been a chevy guy all of my life. As it turns out I bought a dodge at the end of 07, (went with dodge cuz i get the best price and a kick butt warranty.) after running it this year for the first time with a plow and pushing 20" of wet heavy snow I dont think you will see any thing else in my fleet from now on. I was working a shared lot, the fella doing the other side of the lot had a 08 chevy Dmax. Nice truck but he was having problems pushing. the dodge walked all over it. He was so impressed he stoped to watch me.

All in all its a matter of personal pref. With the economy down you should be able to get a hellofa deal on what ever you buy. Good luck

18. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

The Dodge is a heavier truck, if you use the right amount of ballast the Dmax pushes just as much if not more snow than a 2500 Cummins. The GM truck is an all around good truck, evem in the off season you will enjoy driving it. The Cummins is a great motor and the Dodge is ok, probably a good plow truck, but when your in the seat for 20+ hrs I'd rather have my butt in the Chevy!!!

19. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

GM. great trucks!

20. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am partial to the NBS Chevrolet but maybe that is because I bought a a new one.:cool:
    There are a few things i dont care for in the truck tho. The drivers seat back only folds forward slightly ( Have to slide the entire seat forward to get something behind the seat). I dont care for the cheap plastic on the dash etc. The spots by the radio for storage are odd shaped and too small. You had to order a rear defrost to get heated mirrors which i opted not to spend an extra 700 bucks for that because the defrost is very rarely needed. Now I wish I had the heated mirrors like my 07 Classic. The truck seems to have fast idle and you have to hold the brakes a decent amount when stopped and in gear. Kind of odd and I might have to bring it in for that. The 6 speed tranny took getting used to but now it is not an issue. The brakes are alot better tham the classic series. Mileage is still crappy even with 3:73 gears so the truck gets limited use when not on work duty.Power is very good and overall not a bad ride. Forgot to add that it is a 6.0 gasser.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009