1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck would you buy??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tola, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Tola

Tola Junior Member
    from Vermont

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and need opinions on what kind of truck I should buy for plowing my driveway and a couple of my neighbors. I live in Vermont so the truck will be geting a fair amount of use and I'll use it for wood hauling in the summer. I've plowed years ago for my father when he owned his tree business and used his trucks but that is no longer an option.

I am looking at a F150 becuase they are plentiful up here but am concerned about the truck not really being made for that kind of abuse and it seems you have to upgrade the whole front end and cooling system. If a F150 is o.k. is there a certain engine or tranny that was better, with the plow package is it a suitable truck?

That leads me to a F250, will anyone be plow ready or what should I look for, I would like a mid 90's F250, manual. I've been told by friends to stay away from chevy and also to look at a Dodge 1500 or 2500?

I know,lot's of questions, and I hope I don't start a truck war thread.

Thanks for offering this great site and for any help, think snow!!

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Any reason why they say to stay away from chevy/gmc?

3. VBR

VBR Member

I plow with a 2006 F150. Ford builds a stout truck. I have the 5.4 liter with the tow package witch adds the tranny cooler, 3.73 gears, and a locking differential. All i did is put timbrens in the front. Ford has a fully boxed front frame where the chevy and GM are just C- channel. The F150 will be fine for a few driveways and small lots, just dont expect to be able to plow out a Wal Mart in a foot of snow.

P.S. I would get an automatic, it is a pain in the a** to drive, operated the plow and shift all at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You have a gm motor in your ford?

5. VBR

VBR Member

Oops! 5.4. haha sorry.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That's more like it. lol.

I can't say anything about f150's, never been in one.

However there's nothing that says you can't plow with a gm truck. I do it along with probably a few thousand others, and it works fine.

7. VBR

VBR Member

Agreed they are all pretty close to the same. I think it all comes down to personal preference.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I used an F-150 for many years and it worked great with a 7 1/2' Sno-Way on it. Truck was stock with some ballast in the bed.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get a 3/4 ton..
    "I live in Vermont so the truck will be geting a fair amount of use and I'll use it for wood hauling in the summer. I've plowed .........

Get a 3/4....
    That was easy...

10. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i like my f-250 :) worked well for me for years.

11. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to start a war but I think certain year Dodge trucks would be the ones to stay away from. Some of those auto trannies were terrible. The newer ones are better though. If you plan on plow commercially, and growing in the industry get a 3/4 ton truck or larger.

12. Tola

Tola Junior Member
    from Vermont

I guess it's just someone who prefers a different brand, but a few up here in Vt. seemed pretty adimant when they said to stay away from the chevy model which would be comparable to the F150. They just felt they don't hold up as well but who knows? I've seen equal amounts of all brands die when used commercially during a big winter storm, I'm sure anyone of them would be fine for light use. I'm more interested in finding out what makes a f250 more suitable then a f150 and if a f150 could be made to equal the 250 with some upgrades.

Ford seems to be the truck up here, there's a few hundred for sale in the area and only a handful of dodge and chevy?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's your preference. All the big 3 plow just fine.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

An f250 is built on an entirely different platform then the f150. Everything from trans to brakes to axles to the frame, etc. It's all built heavier. The f250 isn't just a beefed up f150 with a different body on it.

As far as trucks for sale I wouldn't go by what's for sale to indicate my choice. The f150 and gm k1500s both use ifs so that argument doesn't work. My chevy will push just as good as a comparable ford or dodge halfton. It may sag a bit more when I pick up the plow, but with a few turns of the torsion bars its nothing bad. Sure 1500s arn't the best to plow with. I'm doing it right now though, but I wouldn't do it again. If I wanted to plow I would narrow my choices down to a 2500 or 3500srw truck. They are just tougher all around.

I plow with another guy who last winter ran a f350 diesel. I could push just as much as him, it just took me a bit longer but not much. The biggest difference is the temps of the trucks. My truck will run at normal operating temp while plowing or transporting with the blade low and angled. If I run mine all the way up and straight it will get hot FAST. The guy with the f350 can run his blade all the way up and straight and the truck doesn't care. Both my friends trucks are that way, both f350 diesels, one with an 8ft unimount and the other with a 9.2poly v. And what my truck would have to work a bit to push they can do it with ease. The truck doesn't even realise its working.

15. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

The only thing that those trucks are the badges they wear and you can get a 5.8L older style and 5.4L newer style, Which you don't really want. Get a 3/4 ton that way as you grow you can start doing more commercial lots and you are already set

Mark, your a good kid and I have no problems with what you say. Just clarify the bit longer but not much? Does your buddy like the 9.2v? I'm looking at getting one and is his truck a dually?

16. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

a 26 series snoway would be a great plow for that truck... get it with the down pressure and you will be a happy guy

17. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

vermont snow+hauling wood = 1 ton dually with a rack body.

EDIT: A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ONE.

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure he really likes the V, never really asked him though. He wishes the got the 8.2 though, then he could squeeze through the drive-throughs at the banks we do. Right now he has to shovel them :D

Depends if I'm plowing with my wings or not. With my wings on its pretty close (9.7ft vs 9.2ft), within a few minutes at most. Some lots I'm faster, some he is faster. Without my wings (7.6ft vs 9.2ft) I'd say maybe 10minutes at the most with him being quicker. The biggest difference isn't the blade size, its the chasing small run off trails or that one pesky snowball around the lot. He can contain it in the V pattern and I can't. I think this winter will be better since it won't be my first year and I'm a better operator now.