1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Truck to plow Jeep of F250

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by HawgHead, Aug 10, 2007.

1. HawgHead

HawgHead Junior Member

I have a 03 F250 PSD Crew Cab short bed and Also a 1981 Jeep Scrambler, I am looking to purchase a snow plow for about level 1/4 mile gravel driveway with the first 250 ft up hill from the house . 1st question do they still make plows for 25 year old Jeeps. If not is their any weight issues with putting a plow on the F250.

Thanks for your input

2. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

which Truck to Plow Jeep or F-250?

Both would Do the JOB--but--I*D Go w/ the F-250 PSD why?--Availibilty & Longivity--as today theres More Plows out there for the F-250 than trying to find One? for the Ole Jeep--I started plowing many yrs Ago w/ a 1949 Jeep--pick Up--which I still have--I Dono? I just can*t part w/ It--I have used every make Truck & Plow over the Years! & they ALL did a Good JOB--I live in FISHER Country--MAINE--I have recently Bought a 96 Ford F-350 4X4 PSD--& I*M installing a Blizzard on It--I also have an 88 Dodge 4X4 w/ an 8 ft Fisher on It--I don*t consider myself a Commerical Plower--I work winters for a local Contractor as a trouble Shooter?--I drive a New GMC Diesel 4X4 pick up w/ a sander in the Body--& clean Up intersections saving Time & work for the Highway Plows & Graders--I used a freinds Dodge 4X4 w/ a Blizzard on it--He was Sick & asked Me If? I*D Plow His Appartments & a Few private Homes He Owns--I was Impressed w/ Blizzard--as It Rolled the Snow? instead of Pushing It? like Fishers Do?--very Quick --I was Impressed w/ the Time I saved --as I DID All of His & Mine in 1/2 the Time It usually took Me! to Do just Mine! THUS! I was SOLD on the BLIZZARD!--& Now w/ Blizard having been Bought OUT! I Dono? whats going to Happen?? in the Future??--& by Having Fishers all these Years! & Fishers a Good Plow!--I just Didn*t Know?? Blizzard was so much Better!--Faster & does a Good Job--I*N Not Knocking any Plow!--as I*M really More of a Highway Plower than Driveways & Private Customers--& in Plowing Highways-- FRINKS the Plow--& being from the Ole School an Ole GUY I*N NOT into all this New Fancy Stuff!--as Streight Blades are what I Prefer!--add On wings? & all the "V"s on pick ups?--to ME just more Stuff that can & Will cause Problems!--Keep It Simple!--If I were YOU! I*D look for a Blizzard for my 250 PSD & Not have to WORRY about My Long Drive nor How much Snow I Get? --My Opinion I hope this HELPS?--OleTower--

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i'm going to go with the f-250 vote as well , ive plow with alot of trucks from an 85 s-15 too and 96 chevy 3500 dump too and 92 dodge dakota . jeeps are nice for clean up work but after using my ford last winter i was sold . i have along dirt driveway mostly up hill too so the troque was getting thur. took some time playing with some weight for the bed but i got the handle and now its planted .

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

does the jeep have the four cylinder or inline six cylinder? that would make a big difference.

my first reaction would be to pick the ford. more weight. more torque.
    after the first reaction though i thought back to someone i knew that used to a jeep like that on their farm. it was there "do everything" vehicle. it would crawl up his unplowed field, in the winter, on a long serious incline. course it all depends on how the jeep is setup. adding some good tire chains to it and weight would make a difference. i would almost say the jeep would go up that drive of yours better than the ford.... seems like a vehicle loses traction before the torque tops out anyway.
    the people i knew that had one plowed out a dirt road leading to two dirt driveways with two houses they both owned.
    they had a tractor too but the jeep did most of the work. for years. i think its retired now sitting down in that field somewhere. it had a hard life. not just during the winter either.
    most on here will say use the ford..... i guess im just saying dont underestimate the old jeep.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure he'll want to spend the $ for a Blizzard for his own driveway, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be hard to make a harness fit the Jeep and it would be really handy. If you don't use the Jeep for anything else, you could just leave the blade on it all winter.

6. mike psd

from pa

that model year of the jeep does have some good points the older WB is great . if still have the old amc 4.2 and crappy carter carb on there i'd dump that in a heart beat there know for not working so well . i'd personal keep nothing more then like a 31 tire on there i drove many winter with those wide dogs and man do that stuck hahaha. the AMC 20 rear axle is fairly strong too . you should try going to one of the many plow website and try those match things they got there and see if still have models for your jeep

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

most of the computer online matching for plows and vehicles i see dont go back that old. i would give fisher a call they may have some answers for you. or look for a used one.

im throwing in these links on snowbear. i cannot recommend a snow bear however since i know nothing about them except that they are inexpensive plows.

http://www.amazon.com/SnowBear-Snow...?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1187147159&sr=1-359

http://www.snowplowstuff.com/snowplows_snowsport_hd.asp

http://www.carpartscorral.com/JeepScrambler81ZX1025Y.htm

http://www.rocky-road.com/snowplow_guide.html

depending on the plow you choose more front leafs may be a good idea. .... shouldnt be a issue with the snow bear but i would suggest if going to a ld fisher .

id say you could get one all said and done for around fourteen hundred. compared to a new blizzard or fisher your looking a less than half the price.
    but i would still check on finding a used fisher.............and it doesnt hurt to call them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  8. HawgHead

HawgHead Junior Member

Thanks, for the input, I figured the jeep would tough to find something for, the jeep has the Inline 6 motor. I am willing to spend some money on a good plow for the F250, I just don't want to spend a bundle, future plans are to buy a tractor for around the house and use to plow. Will $2500 to $3500 get me any thing good. Also, with the 250, I read before with the crew cab and diesel motor, weight on the front end is an issue, does any one know if this is true? By the way Snow fall around here is on the low side, typical snow is 4-6" a couple times a year, with the occasional 12+ every couple of years.

Thanks again.

9. mike psd

from pa

the SD front ends are know for kinda weak ball joints just be aware of that . some jusys get air bags so get helper springs other do nothing . however if going to just plow your driveways maybe 2 or three friends i don't see its being a issue with these quick mounts anymore . they ebay i saw and few plows on there local in PA area .