1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which truck to lease

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, May 5, 2003.

1. Ok Im leaseing a brand new truck in a couple of weeks.
    which one do you guys prefere and have anyone had problems plowing with any of these....
    Im not buying a diesel ,,,too much money...
    Im looking at
    either a ext cab or a reg cab....
    2003 chevy 2500 4 by 4
    2003 ford f250 4 by 4
    2003 dodge 2500 4 by 4

with the big v8 , not sure on short or long box,,, if I go
    ext cab then short box for sure.....
    going too use a tailgate spreader....
    thanks for any input...
    mike:D :D :D

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite :drinkup: . Your title says leasing, but you say you are not buying a diesel? So are you buying or leasing? also what are you using this for?
    Eric

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Depends on what your going to use it for.If it's just a plow truck,then I'd go regular cab,as it's more versatile in smaller areas (tighter turning radius).If you need room for the kids or extra gear,then ext cab is the way to go.It will be a little harder in tight areas,but longer trucks also tend to push better on long runs.

You may want to rethink the diesel option.It may be a bit more money,but you will get it back in resale value,and some fuel economy.Even if you lease,it shouldn't be that much more a month,as the diesel will have a higher residual.All the trucks I have leased (diesels),have had a resale value much higher than the buyout,so I could sell it and make money on it (several thousand).This doesn't always hold true for some of the gas trucks.It's also a bonus if you decide to buy it out and finance the amount owing.It's harder to get a loan on a gas truck which may have a value lower than the amount financed.

Another option is to look at buying or leasing a 1 or two year old truck,again,a diesel.It may save you some $$$ and it should still have a mfg warranty intact.

I'm partial to the Dodge's,and Ford's,as I prefer the solid front axles.Any of the above trucks should may a good plow truck.Might want to do a search as there have been lots of good discussions on trucks.

4. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Get the Ford Or chevy! I have a 99 dodge ram 2500, I Dont like it that much anymore. To many problems. I bought a used 95 ford
    F-250 with 102,000 miles on it. It has less problems than my dodge. Never had a cehvy but I like them and plan on buying one soon!
    Thanks,

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You are gonna get alot of mixed answers on what brand truck to buy because everyone here has a favorite and thats what they stand by. Me personally, I have a Chevy and have absolutely no complaints with it. Many of my friends have Chevys with plows too and they have no complaints. I work in a repair shop and I see the most problems with Fords, sorry Ford guys, just saying what I see. Very rare a Dodge or Chevy comes in with any weird problems. I know they all have their fair share of problems, thats true, I wont argue that one iota, just saying what I see. Mike

6. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Tell you the truth, 45% of the truck around here are cehvys with plows. 40% are ford with plows and the rest, 15% of dodges with plows. I dont see many dodges with plows. What does that tell you. I dont wanna start any problems now. Thats just what I see.
    Thank you!

7. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

And here is what I see in my shop Mike. I manage a Fleet that has 19 Fords, 8 Chevys, 5 Hondas, 3 Dodge, 1 Nissan, 1 Volvo, and I have more problems overall with the 3 Dodge Vans than any of the other vehicles and two of the Dodges are 2000's. But they all work and Carry people and Cargo and that is what counts.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I run a repair shop .... and we see problems with ALL OF THEM.

9. bobcatman

bobcatman Junior Member

I think you have to get whatever is going to make you happy. If it is going to be your company truck that you are going to have lettered, you are going to want to like the look of the truck. You have to ask yourself what components you want-do you want a solid front axle-then get a Ford or Dodge, do you want the softer ride of IFS, get a GM. Basically all vehicles are designed by imperfect people and are build by imperfect people, so they are all going to have flaws, you have to do whatever makes you happy.:cool:

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Guys, give Mike a break. He is just honestly saying what he is seeing in his shop. Of course, all manufacturers have problems but it is just a matter of location and what people are using them for.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You tell em Steve! :D Guys, wasnt trying to put down Fords, but just telling you what I see. Wyldman, I know all makes and models break down, I wasnt argueing that, but Fords arent as "tough" as they say, I dont care what anyone says. All I know is my Chevy is a 1992, that would make it 11 years old, Check Engine light was never on not even once and never had a loping idle. I can safley say EVERY one of my customers who has a Ford car or truck, there Check Engine light has been on atleast once, even if it was just cause of the gas cap, it has been on at one time or another. Fords are very prone to stalling to, and up and down idleing. Ok, I did it now, all you guys are gonna hate me for this post. Mike :waving:

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry Mike,I was directing anything towards you,just wanted to post that they all have problems,and they all break down. :drinkup:

13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

No problem. :drinkup: Mike :waving:

14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Nobody is trying to point any fingers at anyone in this post. We are trying to point out that it does not matter what manufacturer the vehicle is THEY ALL HAVE PROBLEMS and to make my point, It was stated that a 1992 Chevy has never had a check engine light come on but many Fords are seen with this problem. I can tell you that this past winter I have had 1 Dodge, 2 Fords, the Volvo and 3 of my Chevys in the Fleet come into the shop with the check engine light on and the Chevy 1500 Pickup the brake idiot light is on constant, the truck brakes work fine but noone can seem to figure out why the light won't go out. The whole brake system has been checked by different mechanics, propotrioning valve changed out and everything works great. I just live with the light because I don't want to spend hundreds of payup trying to get it fixed. Like Wyldman said, he see's problems with All of them and so do I.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5642

Last edited: May 9, 2003
  15. myo

myo Senior Member

Hey Gordyo, My 1990 Chevy 1500 "Brake light" stayed on all the time and I took it to my mechanic, everything was okay... When I got it back he told me to disconnect the battery and reconnect and the brake light will go out.

So I did and I worked... So maybe that will work.

16. myo

myo Senior Member

Let me know if it works for you.

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

True they all have their fair share of problems, I even said that I think above. Im not trying to start an arguement here. I drive a Chevy because Im in the repair business and "In My Oppinion" Chevy is a better truck and are far easier to work on when it does come time to work on it. Agree or disagree, makes no difference to me, I drive what I drive because of what I see day in and day out at my shop. I like them all anyway, especially Fords for their nice looks. Gordyo, on that Chevy, which light is on, the RED brake light on the dash? The same one that goes on when you push down the emergency brake?? That light did come on and stay on, on my truck few years ago and no one knew why either. Finally fixed it though, what do you think it was? Bad brake light switch. Give that a try. Thats the only light that ever came on, on the dash of my Chevy. Mike

Last edited: May 10, 2003
  18. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Mike and MYO,

Yes it is that light that comes on if you step on the E-Brake. I will try both of your suggestions and see if that takes care of the problem.

Hey MYO, went through Leominster yesterday on my way to Hubbardston, State Police were out doin Radar at the intersection of Rt. 2 west and 190n they nailed the car infront of me. never seen them here before:realmad: Good thing I was only going about 60mph.

19. Workhorse2500

Workhorse2500 Junior Member

Chevy Engines

I've read comments in magazines about the new line of gm truck engines having problems. My cousin has a 99 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 litre. It seems to hesitate starting sometimes and his fuel pump went at around 45000 miles. As I am a Chevy guy, this disturbed me greatly. Does anyone know if this problem was fixed for after the first production year? I've read up on the motors and the numbers look impressive but those initial problems worry me

20. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Here's my $.02 cents,

Personally I'm a Dodge guy, I love the look the ride and the Cummins motor. Lets face one fact, that unless I missed it nobodies mentioned PLOWING IS ROUGH ON EQUIPMENT and it's all going to break at some point. Usually during a major storm, when we need it most.
    I'm a firemen by trade and have heard sayings like, "Firemen could mess up a steel ball bearing", well I think the same goes for plow operators. If it hasn't happen to you yet, it will. So all that aside, you need to do you research, buy the best you can afford, keep it well maintained and cross your fingers when it really starts blowing.
    One side note, one of my trucks was brand new this past winter, it has a brand new Meyers on it (not by my choice) and it craped the bed on it's third night out, yet the Meyers I owned a few years ago NEVER had a problem.

Research, Buy, Maintain

Last edited: May 15, 2003