1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which Truck to get for Boss 8' V plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SDRONO, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SDRONO

SDRONO Junior Member
    from Kansas

I'm looking a getting a truck for my landscape bussiness and will use this truck for snow removal. I want to get a Boss 8' V plow and was wondering if the 5600 lb axle on an F250 is heavy enough? I'm looking at buying a F250 CC short bed diesel. When I go to the Boss web site to fit a plow it onlty pulls up the V10 motor. I have to enter the 6000 lb axle to get any plow option to show with a diesel motor. I want get a diesel cause I have to buy used truck and think I will get better service from diesel since the trucks I'm looking at all seem to have 100K plus. Has anyone ran this combo and any complications. I live in central KS so the snow is usually not deep.

Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They (the government, Boss, Ford, one of them) feels the weight of the diesel doesn't allow enough excess front axle capacity to carry that plow.

Guys do it all the time but you are disregarding someone's opinion.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I Run a 9.2 V Boss on a extra cab Short bed 7.3 F350

4. SDRONO

SDRONO Junior Member
    from Kansas

What is your front axle rating Antler?

5. Antlerart06

I cant remember I'll have to look tomorrow

6. Antlerart06

4940 front end

7. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

If its a new f250/350 6.7 the rating is 5940. My 2013 chevy 3500 LML is rated at 6000lbs. The dodge is 5200 still i believe

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What year??

2013+ Dodge 3500 is 6K I think

9. Antlerart06

1999 Brought it new in November 98 and the dealer had a promotional going on To have a Boss Vplow installed. Saved 1k on the plow buying it this way

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look up your truck on the Boss website. you will find this as the recommended fit.

No plow applications exist for 1999 Ford F350. Ford does not recommend putting a snowplow on this vehicle. Select a different truck?

11. Antlerart06

Yep I seen that

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They allow a 5200 axle to carry a plow in that year/motor combo.

13. Antlerart06

Mine was done at a Ford Dealership Maybe then was a setup up I don't know Don't have any problem with the truck carrying it Its plowed a lot of snow over the years Just did hit 100k 2 weeks back

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm sureThumbs Up

15. fffowler

fffowler Junior Member

You'll be completely fine. Look at my sig and I dont have a single problem. Worst case scenario you throw in a set of 350 springs. They drop right in. 30 min job if you know what you're doing

16. fffowler

fffowler Junior Member

and just FYI my plow is quite a bit heavier than the one you are looking at