1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck to get: '01 or '06 2500 HD?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by countrydoc, Aug 19, 2007.

1. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Just wondering what opinions are out there about these two options I am looking at to get for non-commercial plowing use:

1. 2001 Silverado 2500 HD with 99K miles, 6.0L, Auto, ext cab, short bed, with a Fisher 8' MM plow that is only two years old; the truck was corporate fleet for the first 84K miles with no plow, then had plow mounted 2 yrs ago by second owner. Looks to be in very good condition. Asking price $13,000 and I would offer $12,000.

2. 2006 Silverado 2500 HD with 36K miles, 6.0L, Auto, quad cab, short bed, Fisher 8' MM plow; asking price is $26,000 and I would offer $24,000.

Of course money is an issue too. I really only have $12K to spend, so to get the newer truck I would have to finance half of it.

Any thoughts from experienced Chevy Truck owners as to the longevity of the 6 liter engine and the HD auto trans?

Thanks

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the one you can afford but i would start with offering 9 or 10k and work from there. you still have a few months to find a truck. if someone else buys it there will be others.

3. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Well, they are both on dealers lots. The 01 is at Lee Auto in Norway, and the 06 is at Lee Auto in Windham. Being from southern Maine you must be familiar with Lee Auto Malls. I have never dealt with them before so I'm not sure what their reputation is. I am figuring a dealer won't take much less than 12K for the 01. I guess there is only one way to find out...

4. bribrius

yeah. heard of lee auto malls. sounds like fair prices. i would still try for less and also i would go to cars.com and shop around. check kelley blue book. my opinon is if it has a hundred thousand mile on and its not a diesal it probably isnt worth much more than ten grand. add for the plow onto that.
    fifty thousand miles or so. plow and truck in good shape would be what i was looking for. and i would try to get five to eight years old for around the ten k mark. hard to find but a definate possiblility. id also ask around right on this site. lots of guys here selling trucks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The 6l is a great motor IMO. We have an 01 dually that we bought new with a 6l and it has been flawless, a little hard on fuel but a great motor. If you don't mind payments I'd get the 06. It's a 5 year newer truck which will give you many more years of service then the 01 and with only 26k I would think you will still have some warranty left. The payments are a pain but having a reliable truck to work with is most important. IMO

6. bribrius

no. no not the newer one.
    interest. higher than a new vehicle too since it falls under used and higher risk.
    sending payments suck
    cost of insurance
    registration in maine isnt cheap on newer vehicles

for that much money are you sure you want to frig it up plowing snow? it will be covered in salt, mud, dirt slush and pushing a two tons of crap acrossed the ground in about five months are you sure you want a nice truck?

and ask yourself why someone would trade in a truck that was less than a year and a half old? theres a good question.... must have had a reason. if they had pulled a standard loan out when they bought it they wouldnt even be half way through paying it off themselves yet.

i think you can buy a brand new one for twenty five k with a plow . may not be extended cab but it will be brand new, with a brand new plow, and a lower interest rate.

7. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Well, I went today and got the 2001 2500HD. Looked it over again and had a hard time finding any major faults.

I got it for 11,700 plus tax and title. I think I will get at least 5 years of good service out of this truck, but I am sure that I will be on here regularly for advice on how to keep the plow in good working order.

They will be delivering it to my house on Wednesday. If I can find a working digital camera around here will post some pics.

8. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

the newer truck will get better gas mileage, I used to drive an 05 2500hd 6.0L and it would avg. 13-14 mpg, and now i am driving an 02 2500hd 6.0L for a while and it gets like 10-11 mpg

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear you made the decision doc. The 6.0 is a very reliable motor with very few commonly known problems and I think you'll be very happy with it. Be sure and post some pics of it when they deliver it.

10. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Turns out that it wasn't such a good decision. It has three problems that fail state inspection, so the dealer (I assume it was the dealer but will be finding out for sure) illegally put an inspection sticker on this vehicle and sold it as such.

Two of the problems are easy fixes; it needs new front disk rotors and the tires don't match(three load range E and one load range C)so they need to be replaced. But the third problem concerns me and that's what I need advice on from some experienced chevy owners.

The drivers side exhaust manifold has a leak because of two missing or broken bolts. I have heard some opinions that this can be a very difficult problem to fix.

I would rather just return the truck and get my money refunded. Does anyone think it is worth the effort to get the exhaust manifold fixed?
    :mad:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd be curious to know who did the inspection too. As to the problems....the brakes and tires wouldn't be out of the ordinary for any used vehicle. used vehicle's usually need some type of minor repairs. Brakes and tire's are wear items and should be factored in on the asking price. The manifold bolts can be a problem in the LS1 motors (4.8, 5.3,6.0) but once their fixed correctly, they seldom give anymore trouble and that would'nt stop me from purchasing this truck. Now, since it was purchased from a dealer and they may have been the one that in fact did do the inspection, that give's you some leverage toward's them to make them either repair it or reimburse you for the repair's since they are all safety related issues and they should have never placed an inspection sticker on the truck without fixing these issues in the first place.

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Tough call I may go with your gut feeling and give them the truck back.

Trust me, they will harass you, Then you'll know what kind of place you are dealing with. Why would the manifold bolts break? Sounds like something fishy.

I figure at best they will offer you 1 new E rated tire, some hack drilling and tapping tour aluminum head and new cheep rotors, Don't let them turn them or put on ADAP or any other after market rotors, trust me they are junk. GM are far superior quality. Get a price at a dealer and hand them the estimate if they bock tell them this is what you want. If they insist to fix it. Tell them you want GM rotors and inspection before you'll accept the vehicle.

13. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Met with dealership office manager and Service manager today. They wouldn't budge on returning the truck for refund, and under law they are not obligated to do that so I couldn't push it too far. I did tell them that I can't trust their work on fixing the problem, so if they insist on repairing these problems I would have an independent inspection by an officer of the State Department of Public Safety(the division of the State Police that monitors vehicle safety and inspection stations). They said fine, go ahead, we want to make this right and satisfy you blah blah blah.

Will take a few days to get it back because of the exhaust manifold thing, so will see how it goes...

thanks for the feedback

14. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

If the dealer inspected the truck and it does not really pass inspection than just tell them that you plan on contacting the DMV and report them. They could lose the abillty to do inspections. No dealer wants that. They also could be fined from the state. I purchased a truck from a dealer once and they did the same thing. This was a dump truck that needed a federal inspection and my repair bill was over a $1000.00. I made the call and they sent me a check.

15. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

They did agree to fix these three items at no additional cost to me. Of course, "fix" really means that they will do the minimum required to bring it to inspection standards. So one tire will be replaced, the rotors will probably be turned and not replaced (and if replaced probably not with OEM GM rotors), and the missing or broken bolts in the exhaust manifold will be replaced. I told them I would have a state inspector review the work once it is done and they seemed to have no problem with that.

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Tell then that the unlike the older rotors the newer rotors cannot be cut, they are like 3-8 thousands of a inch over the minimum when brand new. They have a minimum thickness stamped on them and if they cut them below that they are breaking the law. Just tell them I never screw around with breaks so they will be checked for minimum thickness as soon as you get out of here to be sure so don't screw around with me being cheep on them. My family rides in this truck etc, etc.

And make sure the new tire matches the exact tread for safety and is E rated that is require for a 3/4 ton truck. you will pay registration taxes in the weight rating and it can't carry it with out the tire.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  17. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Thanks. All good advice. I told them all these things when I brought it back. Made it very clear that I was extremely displeased to be driving a truck that is potentially unsafe and they seemed motivated to make it safe. I test drove it with my 5 year-old daughter so they know I'll be transporting precious and innocent life in the truck. I spoke with a Sgt. at the State Police and he was very helpful, offered to inspect the truck after the work was done. Truck still at dealership and haven't heard yet. Waiting for them to call me, time being on my side.

Everyone here has given very helpful input and I appreciate it all. Thanks again. Will post again when truck back and work inspected to let you know how it all works out. And, got digital camera now so can post pics if I ever get truck back.:dizzy:

18. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Here's the update:

Took them over two weeks cuz they had to pull of the cylinder head and send the manifold to a machine shop to get out the broken bolts (the broken bolts that they claimed not to be aware of when they sold me the truck). That was fixed right.

Service manager found 4 good condition used E-rated 265's to put on the truck, so that was an upgrade from the unmatched 245's that were on it.

Brakes were turned slightly and work fine. Pass inspection now.

Day after I got it back from these repairs, the passenger side window went down and wouldn't go back up. I didn't take that back to them, just had it fixed by someone I trust and that ran about $280. And he taught me a little trick to prevent this from happening again: silicone spray into the felt grooves where the window tracks up and down to prevent it from binding and burning out the motor.

Truck runs very well now. Did some 4-wheelin last night, low range works well. Plow went over to Diesel Works in NH yesterday to have them inspect and service to get ready for what I hope will be winter.

Overall, I miss my Cummins but for what that cost with no plow and RWD I could get 2 and a half trucks like this one with a plow. I think this will work out ok in the end. we'll see what happens when the snow comes.

Only thing is that I don't get to drive it that much cuz my wife has decided she really likes driving a 3/4 ton pickup truck...

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear. Hopefully it turns out to be the best truck you've owned.