1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

which truck to buy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tha_lildude, Jul 22, 2008.

1. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

i was wondering i am leaning toward a 1500 with a 7 1/2 foot plow but am unsure of my choice. based on your plowing experience, would i be better off buying a 1998 or so silverado 1500 with 80-100k miles on it for 5-7 grand and spending 3 grand updating stuff on it, or would i be better off buying a 2002 or so year silverado 1500 with 40-60k miles on it for about 8-10 grand? what is you guyses opinions? this is just for plowing a couple driveways like 10-15 or so. thank you!

2. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

well to save money you can obviosuly go for the 98, but in the long run you want less miles on it. It also depends on how good the condition is. I would spend 10,000 on a 2500 and put a 7 1/2 plow on it. You never know when you will get more business. You get what you pay for as well.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No brainer for me, spend 3k more, it will be worth it in the end. JMO

4. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

ok well than should i just go with a newer, like 2005 or newer 2500, and spend like 15-20 grand? or should i just go brand new off the lot?

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I would price out something in the 2005 range...include what financing will cost. also figure how long it will last considering the miles on it.

then
    price out new on the lot with 0% for how long they are offering now. considering they cant move new product, and you might be able to finance the plow on the truck.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

OK now were getting into alot more money. I agree with the other guys that you should probably get a 2500. I'm not sure what you can afford and if it's going to be your daily driver. Most people want a little nicer truck if they are going to be driving it all year long.

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

buy the older one there better built. I had a 1996 GMC 1500 SLE ext cab with 113 on it. ran excellent. held a 7 1/2ft fisher perfect. All I did so it didnt squat was raise the torsion bars in the front. and the thing was awesome at plowing.

8. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

well i live in alaska, so plowing season is from sometimes october to april, but usually starts in september. the truck i am trying to use only for plowing and other things that require a truck. i have a car that runs perfect and is in perfect condition and get gooood gas mileage. so i would only be using the truck if im goin out to plow or haul something, for the most part. of course if its nice im going to want to drive it a lil more but the main use is plowing.

9. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

also my friend has 2 1500's 1998's and he is really trying to get me to buy a 1500 old body style. he says constantly "parts are cheap". i dont know if he understands, when there is snow on the ground, time is money.

10. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

parts are cheap, i currently own 3 trucks of the 88-98 era. another thing to think about is torque output of the engine. the 350 is a tried and true engine, and produces plently of low end torque (what you need for moving a heavy load, be it snow, a trailer, whatever). since you're looking at 99+ 1500s you are left with 3 choices for engines. the 4.3, the 4.8, and the 5.3. all 3 choices are lacking in the low end torque department in a BIG way. the older truck will do the job better.