1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Which truck to buy...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Garth, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Garth

Garth Junior Member

I Used an 01 ford f-250 4 door short bed diesel 5 years ago. I hated the short bed...I am now looking to get another truck. I had very good luck with my ford....here is my concern. I want a regular cab long bed this time...only problem is that there is NOT much leg room in the ford. I was looking at a 02 dodge and there was plenty. Now as I said before...I had good luck with my ford but I dont know if the dodge with an auto tranny will hold up. I of course would get the Diesel Cummins too....so please point me in the right direction. I always heard the trannys are the weak link in the dodge set-up....thanks in advance, Garth
  2. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

neither buy a Chevy with a dmax
  3. Garth

Garth Junior Member

Well....I never thought of that one...whats the reason?
  4. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

the reason why is that they are awesome! but yeah, the tranny has always seemed to be dodge's weak point. with the duramax at least it comes with the allison, which is nice.
  5. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

dodge bad trans...... ford 6.0/6.4 junk eng :jester:
  6. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

why do you need diesel, anyway?
  7. Garth

Garth Junior Member

I dont NEED a diesel...but would like one....Well I just drove an 07 Diesel Chev and just like the Ford...Not much leg room. So let me ask this....Lets say I get a dodge and the tranny drops out of it...can it be rebuilt to address the weaknesses? I had a TQ lock up switch on my Ford which was great...I could lock it up in any gear...kept the heat down.
    For you experts here...what % of guys drive the dodges? if its like 2% then I need to run! lol
  8. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

trannys seems to go south with a combination of overheating/neglect. change your tranny fluid regularly. get a quality tranny cooler if it doesn't already have one (it should) so it won't overheat. that's about all i know that you can do for them. oh yeah- stop, THEN shift. changing from drive to reverse while still moving is very hard on your transmission. maybe read it a bedtime story and it won't crap out on you?
  9. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

sorry, i just ranted and didn't address your question- most places that rebuild trannys can rebuild them better than stock from what i've seen.
  10. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i bought a 94 dodge truck 4x4 with a 360 auto was bad put a used re man trans from j yard in back in end of march went out July 4 just driving on the street no off roading :realmad: f#%^ dodge
  11. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Are you 7' tall? I have a 07 and 6'3" and have plenty of room.
  12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 07 F350 with the diesel. Great truck, great engine. And with the crew cab it has plenty of room.
  13. 74Stylez

74Stylez Junior Member

Which truck?

Hello all,

This appears to be a great forum for those in the business looking for information, advice and support.

I am just starting out and interested in purchasing a Cheverolet Avalanche 2500 for plowing. I have always loved the look and versatility of these trucks. I would love for it to have the 8.1 liter engine for the power, but then again the FE is probably better with the 5.3. I cannot purchase a commercial truck at this time, plus I can use the Avalanche as a daily driver and other jobs out of season. Any opinions? Thanks!
  14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would buy a duramax in a heart beaat, unless you find a nicer old 7.3 power stroke(pre 99) i wouldnt buy a ford. same thing with dodges buy a manuel trans and save the head ach. chevy has no problems and you will be good to go!
  15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Get the Ford...

And btw to the gasser lovers...I can plow twice before filling up with my diesel, as opposed to the gasser.
  16. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Avalanche looks like a decent plow vehicle, what are you doing residential or commercial?
  17. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

An Avalanche is kinda pricey, you can prolly find a 3/4 ton for the same price.
  18. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

he said the avalanche was 3/4 ton
  19. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

the dodge tranny's are just fine those problems where fix back in 2000'. They where due to people setting in place for over 20 min and the cooling fan kicking off. Dodge has long fix them, have plowed with CTD dodge for over 5 years now and have never had a transmission problem. I change the fluid after ever season even when I did' nt need to just because. The big problem is the durability of the front end U- joints, ball joints and tie rod ends. if you beef them up you'll be fine!!
  20. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I am aware I was going with buying 2500hd or F250 for the same price if not less. Too each their own.